1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Practical advice for Year 5

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by msbumble, Dec 16, 2016.

1. msbumble

msbumble New commenter

Hi,

I'm an NQT with a year 5 class and the last few weeks their behaviour has really deteriorated. There was a boy in my class who was, according to SLT, the most troubled boy in the school. A lot of time and energy went in to him, and I put the general poor behaviour of the rest of the class down to the fact that he was taking up an awful lot of my energy. He has been moved to the other class, but despite my best efforts, the general behaviour of the rest of the class is still deteriorating.

As individuals, they are all lovely. But as a class, they are quite frankly horrible. They are very talkative during lessons, and I have put some things into place to reduce this, including putting them on a whole class behaviour report. The main problems seems to be occurring at break and lunch times though. They have been fighting, arguing and just generally being horrible to each other. When I spoke to them about it today, they said they don't respect each other, and they're going to end up with no friends by the end of the year.

This only baffles me further! If they know that they are being horrible to each other, why carry on?! I've told them I don't expect them all to be best friends, but that it takes much less energy to be civil to each other than it does to be nasty. But they carry on. We even had the head in a couple of weeks to go to talk to them about their behaviour.

I am just at a loss of what to do. Especially when the worst of the behaviour happens in "their own time". They have suggested I take their golden time away (which I do, to no avail), and take their break times and lunch times away. But I don't think that will solve the problem.

How do I get them to be civil towards each other outside of the classroom? And ensure that we have a suitable working environment? Parents are telling me their children don't want to come into school, because of the behaviour of other children in our class!

Thank you in advance!!

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

What are the staff on duty doing about the behaviour? You, as class teacher, shouldn't have to be dealing with behaviour you haven't seen. You'll never get to the truth and the perpetrators know this. Ensure staff on duty know that any poor behaviour on their watch must be dealt with, robustly, by them at the time of it happening.

If the duty staff can't, or won't, deal with the behaviour then have the children involved sent to the head to deal with. Immediately when the behaviour happens, not 3 days later!

Lara mfl 05 and pepper5 like this.
  3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Would you be able to deliver some PSHE type lessons aimed for this age group that deal with the issues your class are facing? Issues could be addressed like being kind, how to resolve conflict without fights, what respect looks like/means.

You can't control what goes on outside your classroom, but inside the class have three rules:

Follow instructions fast
    Stay on task
    Work without disturbing others

If they are on task, then they don't have time to distract others.

Be very firm with them and insist upon your expectations of what you expect the working environment to be like. Use the school's reward and sanctions systems.

CTB's comment is spot on: let the Head deal with any incidents outside your classroom immediately not three days later.

Lara mfl 05, msbumble and aidanari like this.
  4. msbumble

msbumble New commenter

Thank you for the advice. I'm going to start back today with some PSHE and New Years resolutions stuff. We've done quite a lot in the past but I'm hoping we can keep a focus on it this term.

As for the on duty staff, they are always sending the children in for me to deal with, despite being repeatedly asked not to. But I will make it clear to them and the children this has to stop, and what the alternatives are.

Hopefully a new term can give us a new start!

Lara mfl 05 and pepper5 like this.
  5. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Well done msbumble for your positive attitude and strategies. One of the resolutions you could bring in would be for the children to be positive too and implement a no complaining rule.

Good strategy for dealing with the duty staff.

Have a sparkling day today.

Lara mfl 05 and msbumble like this.
  6. msbumble

msbumble New commenter

Thank you! I'm not sure we quite managed to sparkle today, but it certainly has been better than has been previously!

I've also bought one of those "thought a day" calendars for the classroom. I'm hoping that it inspires them to be a little more thoughtful and positive. Things like "you cannot regret trying your best" etc. A little bit naff, but I could do with a daily positive reminder as much as the kids!

7. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

That is brilliant to hear! I am sure you will surely sparkle - at least by the end of the year.

The thought for the day idea is not naff at all; it is a grand idea for staying positive for the children and for you.

Have a sparkling day tomorrow.

msbumble likes this.
  8. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

You get classes like this. Sometimes kids just don't like each other. You can't force them to. Just have them sent to the head if it kicks off at lunchtime. You have to have a break from it.

9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

You do sometimes get classes like that and certainly the girls can get very moody with each other in Yr 5 and have lots of best friend 'falling out' episodes.

Yes lots of PHSE on being tolerant /treating others as they would wish to be treated etc.

They're also beginning to grow and 'wise-up' and that brings it's own challenges.

Just keep on sticking to your behaviour policy and accept that it's all part & parcel of teaching.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    pepper5 and whitestag like this.
  10. pickles124

pickles124 Established commenter

Im not sure what you school policy is, but where i am the child in question will receive a verbal warning. Once they have had two or three warnings they take themselves next door with work. I do not know if they have to fill out a reflection sheet as it would be a good idea.

If bad behaviour continues despite warnings, a member of the SLT team will intervene and it becomes a pastoral issue.

It is about preventing an escalation of behaviour. Take it from me. Do not shout at the children. All your going to do is bust a lung and the children will find it hilarious. Keep firm and assertive.

I know how irritating low level disruption is. I simply go round confiscating items they are messing with or give a stern look to try and stop them in their tracks.

pepper5 likes this.
  11. pickles124

pickles124 Established commenter

Start knocking minutes off their play time too with the teachers permission.

pepper5 likes this.