1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Practical activities in Geography and History

Discussion in 'Primary' started by notinenglandanymore, Nov 27, 2019.

1. notinenglandanymore

notinenglandanymore New commenter

hello there,

In my small school overseas, I’ve been asked to lead a staff meeting / training session on using practical activities in geo and history lessons.

We have the Oxford International Primary Geography and History schemes of work, complete with textbooks and student workbooks from year 1 to year 6. We want to move away from solely textbooks and workbook work to improve engagement in lessons and improve progress in these subjects.

Now, as a U.K. qualified and experienced teacher I’m used to using practical activities etc in these lessons as standard however, the rest of the staff are not. I’m finding it hard to come up with an engaging and positive training session on this topic and wonder if anyone here has any advice. Perhaps you’ve lead a staff meeting or similar on a similar topic. Practical and non-textbook lessons come naturally to me so I think that’s why I’m finding it hard to come up with ideas on how to teach teachers to do this!

Thanks!

2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

drama?

model making?

3. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

I know what you mean. I looked at the IPC history scheme today and I wouldn't want my children to learn in such a dry way.

You first need to make sure your teachers understand the concepts of history and geography because the last thing you want is them randomly digging in sand to find bits of old pottery without considering the learning intention.

4. sambh_computing

sambh_computing New commenter

Coke and mentos... not the most scientific but fun

5. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Occasional commenter

Half post missing- so edited - please see next post

6. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Occasional commenter

This comes from a point of absolutely no experience whatsoever but if it is the more 'how to present it' aspect that is of concern, what about if you start off talking them through some of the work you have been doing with your class - backed up with physical examples of activities, photos, evidence from children's books etc. as appropriate, maybe even some video clips if you have time to film your lessons, are allowed to do so by school and are comfortable doing so (I know I personally wouldn't be, but you might not mind). Then depending on the organisation of the school and whether there are parallel classes or not, you could put teachers into pairs/small groups, give them a copy of a relevant scheme of work and ask them to plan out some activities that would fit in with the next topic, while you go around and discuss their ideas, give extra suggestions etc

7. notinenglandanymore

notinenglandanymore New commenter

Thank you all for your replies! Lots of helpful ideas and starting points!