1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PPE/ Facemask on supply?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Bethbee100, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Bethbee100

Bethbee100 New commenter

Does anyone plan on wearing a mask when going in to school?

I haven't got any work lined up yet but if and when I do I really feel like I should be wearing some sort of face covering. I really don't know how this would work though. Would the children hear me/ respond to me?

I don't feel it's safe going from one school to another, what with covid rates going up. The teachers at my children's school are not wearing masks so maybe we'd get some funny looks going in to schools with face coverings. It's best to be safe than sorry though?

Any thoughts?

pepper5 likes this.
  2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Perhaps a visor instead of a mask? You would have to ask the school though.

I would be hesitant about going into schools period - with or without masks.

Bethbee100 likes this.
  3. BenjaminBoxer

BenjaminBoxer New commenter

As an asthmatic / semi-crinkly, this is my experience with masks supply working in one school. I wear a mask from my car, through the door as do others. I do this as I'm never quite certain who's converging on the entrance. I do it also as at my age the next stop is the loo where masks are compulsory. Masks are available at the door. Some hard core-rs with permanent jobs ignore the rule about masks in loos but this is noted. I take it off in 'my' room.
    In our school masks are compulsory in offices and the staff room unless eating. You'd be surprised at the large numbers of staff wearing mask whilst transiting. It helps that the culture is respectful. One member of SLT wears a visor. I know that some staff wear masks / visors to teach. I can't report back on their experiences. I don't wear a mask teaching as I find it stifling. I know I would wear one if local cases were reported. Very few students (secondary) are wearing masks. I'm slightly deaf. I didn't realise that I actually lip read a little until people started wearing masks which discourages me further from wearing one. I think it it could be difficult wearing a mask where few others do so. At the end of the day, as staff who don't get paid if we don't work, you have to balance risk against your need for income.

Bethbee100, agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  4. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Established commenter

Buy a visor, you can pick these up for a couple of quid in a supermarket or a shop like B&M/ Poundland / PoundStretcher etc.

agathamorse, Bethbee100 and pepper5 like this.
  5. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

The agency/school are supposed to supply you with what steps are being undertaken to protect from COVID in the school. Unfortunately these will be different from school to school.
    I am afraid that wearing a mask may make you more confident but will not stop you getting the virus. A visor is less effective. You will find yourself taking a rather large leap of faith when going into a school, particularly at short notice.
    I am fortunate that I don't have to take the risk and genuinely sympathetic for those that haven't the choice.

agathamorse, pepper5 and Alldone like this.
  6. Alldone

Alldone Senior commenter

Light a candle. Put on a face mask and blow hard. Cloth face covers - you can blow out the flame as though nothing was on your face. Surgical masks slightly better, but can still blow out the flame. N95 masks - can blow as hard as you like and not a flicker on the flame. If you are going to wear a mask wear a proper N95 mask without a valve. Visors are totally useless,

Yoda- and pepper5 like this.
  7. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

You'll need to follow the school policy so make sure you check their requirements before arriving.

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  8. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Unfortunately the more effective the mask the harder to teach in.

9. Bethbee100

Bethbee100 New commenter

I have my first booking of the new term this week. I asked the agency about Ppe and have been told that masks are not being worn in schools.
    I can’t help but feel a bit uncomfortable about this. I guess I’ll just have to grin and bear it.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

I would ask what the School policy is towards COVID. Some schools do wear masks. Particularly secondary.

11. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

We wear masks or visors in the corridors and communal areas but not in our classrooms when teaching.

12. Bethbee100

Bethbee100 New commenter

I’m going in to a primary school. I think I will arrive wearing a mask, to sign in etc and then keep it on until I’ve found out what the school policy is. I’ve been told I’m covering different year groups. I can’t help but feel a bit concerned about being exposed to so many children without wearing a mask.