1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ppa

Discussion in 'Primary' started by CB123, Feb 16, 2011.

1. CB123

CB123 New commenter

We used to get a morning a week, which I guess was very good as it was 9 until 12.30. However, a new teacher started our school this year and complained because 1 week she was asked to just have from 9.30 (even though she doesn's have a class, she just has small groups and thus has no real assessment or IEPs to do) and so the head recalulated and as legally we are entitled to 2 hours 9 mins then it had been reduced so we get from 9 till 11.25 (end of morning break) - Thanks new teacher!!!
    As for other questions PPA is alone, so can't joint plan within the phase and we are not allowed to take it at home

2. A whole morning or afternoon per week. Spent alone (but single form entry anyway). Must spend it in school (or out doing school things)

3. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Teachers at my school get 1 day per fortnight, or pro rata, so if they only work .8 they have every 5th PPA off if you see what I mean? The .5 PPA teacher gets a morning a fortnight.
    It's more than the entitlement but they work hard and get a lot done in their PPA time.
    There's a work room in school if they need it, but they're also allowed to work at home.

4. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

We get a half day a week. We used to be able to go home for it but since being put into category by the lovely big O people we now have to spend it in school.

5. We get 2 hours exactly. 1 hour twice a week. However we do get at least 1 assembly break of 15 mins each week, the rest we have to attend.

6. Curlygirly, I would like to work in your school!:)

7. A half day every other week (a morning or afternoon) and an hour every week.

So I may have an hour one week and 3 or 4 the next.

8. greta444

greta444 New commenter

We get an afternoon a week and can go home to work. However, I tend to do school work and planning in the evenings so usually the afternoon is spent relaxing while my own children are at school.

9. comenius

comenius New commenter

We get an afternoon a week and can work either at home or at school. I tend to go home as I get more done there!

10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Our teaching timetable is 25 1 hour periods per week. I give my 1.0 FTE staff 3 hours PPA per week, which is above the 10% allowed. (i.e., 2.5 hours rounded up to 3 hours or 12%). Any staff working less than 1.0 FTE will have some percent between 10% and 12%.
    This is all written into the timetable.
    However it is by agreement that, on occasions, they will 'rarely cover' since they get above 10% PPA, and there is also a fairly healthy working agreement that PPA periods can be borrowed and paid back by mutual agreement.
    PPA is separate from Management Time.

11. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

God the head's a proper cow.[​IMG]

However it is by agreement that, on occasions, they will 'rarely cover' since they get above 10% PPA, and there is also a fairly healthy working agreement that PPA periods can be borrowed and paid back by mutual agreement.
    Seems reasonable to me, a bit of give and take goes a long way in school.

12. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Apologies, for some reason my last post didn't quote you Nomad.

13. Professor Dumbledore

Professor Dumbledore New commenter

We get a morning or afternoon every week which we can take at home. My last Head required us to take it at school, in the staff room, which was awful as we kept getting people coming in asking you to just come and deal with X or Y. Not good.
    I know our Head is being generous with PPA. He's also good about leaving times. Most of us leave at 5:15ish on Tuesdays and Thursdays when we have Planning and Meetings respectively. So if I leave at 3:45 on a Wednesday no questions are asked.

14. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

We get two hours (an afternoon session) every week. Not sure if it can be done at home as I haven't ever asked.

I don't do mine with the other Y6 teacher. They are the deputy so have a number of things to get on with, although we do meet to discuss anything important. We do separate planning for English and Maths anyway. For foundation subjects we share out the plans at the start of each term.

15. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

How is your head being generous? Why would/should questions be asked about you leaving at 3.45?

16. Professor Dumbledore

Professor Dumbledore New commenter

Well I have experience of working in only 2 schools, and in both, questions would definitely be asked and comments made if people were regularly leaving at this time. If this is not the norm please feel free to correct me - but this is my experience thus far.

17. chocolatelover

chocolatelover New commenter

I get a full afternoon each week (1.10pm - 3.15pm), plus an other hour somewhere, mine after my break duty, officially 11.15-12.15. But it is usually 20past/25past by the time the ch go in and I get to the staff room, then KS1 start lunch at 11.55 so people are in the staff room by 12pm. but in general all our teachers get 3hours.

18. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Either morning or afternoon every week. Most people have it with their year group partner. We can take it at school or go home. As long as all our work is done (or appears to be so) no asks questions. Total trust in our professional abilities to organise our own time and workload.

19. My staff get the 10%- times agreed within their teams, but usually part of the morning and then the afternoon for FT staff. They can take it at school or home- as long as the work gets done. But I also try to do some long assemblies and other events where I can release staff for extra catch up time, especially at the end of terms.
    There's lots of give and take so we try to adapt when staff need to change times but they are very flexible if we have any staffing issues with some staff who offer to postpone their PPA to help out.
    Questions never asked if staff leave at 3:45. We don't monitor the times in and out but the provision for the children.
    The very best teacher I ever worked with often almost knocked down children in car park on the way home!

20. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

We get 1.5 hrs a week, and this time is usually directed in some way or another!