1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PPA when part-time

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by butterfly-blue, Sep 26, 2015.

1. butterfly-blue

butterfly-blue New commenter

Good afternoon,
    I have recently reduced my hours to 0.8 and am now contracted for 26 hours rather than 32.5.
    However, I am now no longer given any PPA time.
    I had hoped that 10% would therefore be added onto my contracted hours and pay but it seems I was wrong in thinking this?
    Am I entitled to any PPA time or would the school have worked it out by taking into account breaks, lunchtimes and perhaps the staff meeting time that I now miss?
    It just feels like I've gained half a day of time but for the price of a whole days less pay. My workload hasn't dropped that significantly as I still need to PP and A for 4 full teaching days in the classroom!
    Will speak to my head teacher next week but would rather check here first! Thanks for any advice.

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

you should still have PPA. Breaks/lunch/meetings cannot count.

3. flyingcircusfreak

flyingcircusfreak New commenter

26 is 0.8 of 32.5. Therefore you should either receive a minimum of 10% extra pay to cover PPA time, or you should have a minimum of 2.6 hours (2h36m) of PPA during your four days.

I say minimum, because if other teachers in your school get more PPA time than this, you are also entitled to it. So in our school, we have 70 periods per fortnight, and 10 of these are PPA (14.28%): someone on a 0.5 contract is therefore entitled to 5 PPA periods per fortnight.

HTH

4. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

That would be 10% of teaching time, not hours employed, ie excluding time for assemblies etc. If teaching hours are 5 a day it would be 20 teaching hours a week and 2 ppa hours. These cannot be in blocks of less than 30 mins.

5. rlday

rlday New commenter

I'm 0.6 FTE and get half a day every other week, as does my job share.