1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PPA to go

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pinkflipflop, Jun 20, 2011.

1. There were talks in our staff meeting tonight of PPA being removed within the next 18 months.
    If it happens will you stay in teaching?

2. There were talks in our staff meeting tonight of PPA being removed within the next 18 months.
    If it happens will you stay in teaching?

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Yes, of course.

I love my job and thought it would be harder without PPA it wouldn't be impossible.

4. Really? :( Where did you hear that?

5. bassetthound

bassetthound New commenter

What is PPA?
    Genuine q - I teach in Northern Ireland and whilst most things are the same as in reast of UK - not everything is.

6. becky70

becky70 New commenter

Hopefully - I did nearly a decade before it came in and so can do without it as a class teacher. However, a lot of my work recently has been PPA cover so may not be able to stay in the profession in the long term without PPA.

7. @ bassetthound - PPA is 10% non contact time to plan, prepare and assess. Works out at about 2.5 hours/ week.

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Non-contact time. For teachers to carry out Planning Preparation and Assessment, hence PPA.

9. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Would I stay in teaching? Of course.

If it does go then I imagine our head wouldn't ask us to do a couple of the 'extras' that we do now. APP, for example, can be stuck where the sun don't shine.

10. Beautifully put, Milgod.

11. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

I wouldn't strike over this issue.
    The paperwork would need to be trimmed though.

12. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy having the PPA time. It is a big help. However, provided some of the paperwork was disposed of, I think I would be alright without it.

13. I love teaching, but with the ever increasing workload I think losing PPA will finally tip me over the edge!

14. As a part time person, I'd enjoy being able to spend more of the week with my class.
    BUT....something would have to slip. I couldn't differentiate as much as I do or complete all the paperwork I do now.
    I wonder whether the govt have, at any point, measured the impact of PPA.
    I have to say that at the start it would definitely have had an impact on the quality of my lessons as the time was spent well, marking, looking for and making resources.
    Now, however, I have so much planning-related paperwork, or assessment related paperwork (none of which was required pre-ppa and which, along with other dubious duties, "Can be done in your PPA") has vastly eaten into the amount of time that I end up doing things that will directly impact on the childrens' learning.

15. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I work in an academy which has already done away with PPA! I simply do not have time to complete all the paperwork there is and plan good quality lessons. As the year has gone on I have been chasing my tail more and more. In the beginning I was working 60 hr weeks, now I am just not willing to do that! I would hate to see PPA disposed of as it really does make a difference. It is amazing how much you can get done in that time.

16. Before PPA was introduced we always had release time to get stuff done just out of appreciation of the great job we did and accepting that to do the job to that level it took shedloads of time.

17. PFF, where did your school hear this from?

18. From a primary head's meeting.

19. Yikes! Like you PFF, no PPA would tip me over the edge! I do enough hours already!

20. It wouldn't surprise me at all to find PPA being removed: this administration hates the teaching profession in the state section. Mr Gove is intent on removing teacher's rights by making all primaries become academies (just give it 3 years...), make us work till we're 68, cutting our pensions, cutting school funding, etc.
    I would object less if I had any sense of him doing this to benefit the children. It all seems to be questionable ideology at work instead: a "Let's destroy the public sector as the private sector is the answer to everything"-style approach.
    Since when does cutting PPA have any positive impact on pupils? Does trampling on the morale of a dedicated profession really help children learn better?
    When is the government going to make a difference for the better in education?