1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PPA time

Discussion in 'Primary' started by grasshopper2000, Dec 29, 2018.

1. grasshopper2000

grasshopper2000 Occasional commenter

I have an HLTA covering my class for maths and English for my PPA time each week. I'm wondering if it's best to get them to carry on with what I am teaching or to get them to do times tables and mental maths and spellings and guided reading or something similar.
    What would you do?

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Hi grasshopper. Much depends on the HLTA and the set up at your school. I'm an HLTA, based in Y6. I cover the class teacher's PPA. As I am with the class full-time, we team teach quite a lot, as well as splitting the class often for Maths. I have PPA time during the teacher's management time (class have PE then) so we are able to share planning. Because I have many years' experience and know the children and the Y6 curriculum very well, I am able to carry on with whatever we are teaching in English and Maths. I usually mark the Maths I teach.
    This works very well for us. However, if the HLTA was not with your class enough to be very clear about what you were doing in English and Maths, what the learning objective and expected outcomes were and how the children were getting on with the unit of work, I would be very tempted to go with the grammar practice, spelling games, times tables and arithmetic route. It doesn't have to be set in stone - if, for example, the class were publishing a piece of work (best copy), then that would work. If your HLTA carries on with the week's English and Maths, there's also the question of who will mark it - whereas the times tables, etc, route can be marked with the children.
    If you decide to take the 'practice' route, don't feel it's time wasted - it will increase the pupils' skills and build confidence. I guess the answer is to consider what will work best for you and give you the least extra stress and added workload!!!!

JohnJCazorla likes this.