1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PPA time

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lillipad, Aug 21, 2011.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I'm sure i'm doing badly out of my PPA time for this forthcoming academic year. Basically, it is 2 hours from 8:45- 10:45 - running through break time and assembly. I've read in various places that PPA should be taken from teaching time... so am I being diddled out of an hour in theory? And if so, how do I approach this?

2. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I'm sure i'm doing badly out of my PPA time for this forthcoming academic year. Basically, it is 2 hours from 8:45- 10:45 - running through break time and assembly. I've read in various places that PPA should be taken from teaching time... so am I being diddled out of an hour in theory? And if so, how do I approach this?

3. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

What you want to quote is in the STPCD Section 3:
    99. Guaranteed PPA time should be provided as part of a teacher’s
    normal weekly or fortnightly timetable. It must take place,
    therefore, during the timetabled teaching day (i.e. during the
    time in which pupils are taught at the school) and must not be
    bolted on before or after pupil sessions. In order for the time to
    be put to meaningful use by the teacher, it must be allocated in
    blocks of no less than 30 minutes.
    Assembly is an act of worship, not teaching time, break time is also not teaching time, so yes, you are being diddled. Your approach depends very much on your school, your head and your relationship with them.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

2 hours also doesn't seem an awful lot. We are entitled to 2.5 hours at our school, though it does sometimes go through assembly depending on the day.

5. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Hmmm how do i address this? I'm actually also going to be new to the school.... So I don't want to be walked over, but I also don't want to lose out on valuable time.

6. Myself and my parallel colleague are given one hour cover a week. We are then expected to get our TAs to provide the rest of the cover every week. They are level one TAs. All KS2 classes are provided with a whole morning or whole afternoon cover a week by qualified teachers. KS1/FS are given one hour cover per week at the most. This has been going on for at least 5 years! When challenged about it, the head always simply replies 'KS2 know how lucky they are...!' and then changes the subject. Not fair!!

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Errrm, this isn't the 'best' answer, nor what you want to hear, (and unions would have a fit) but if that was me I would put up with it for the first term at least. No way would I be making a fuss about PPA entitlement on my first day.

You might find that when you get there, you also get bits of time here and there from other assemblies and so on. Though this might not count as official PPA, it does give you the rest of your time.

8. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

Why do you put up with this ridiculous situation?

9. The trouble is that schools are small places and, rightly or wrongly, it's not easy to complain or make a fuss, especially when others are seen to be putting with something. I think a lot of heads are aware of how difficult many teachers find it to complain and take the p*** by expecting them to put up with lack of PPA time.

10. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

I know it's not easy to complain, but if you want things to change then you just have to bite the bullet. A couple of years back, I was given a PPA slot of 8.45 -10.40. I explained to the HT that this wasn't long enough, especially as break time was included. He was quite defensive and said that other teachers hadn't made an issue of having this slot. I kept repeating that it wasn't long enough, and he switched it to an afternoon session. I was apprehensive about bringing it up, but felt that I owed it to myself to do so.

11. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

In reply to the OP, I have also had PPA at the same time as an assembly. At the time, we had 2 assemblies per week, and the one that staff didn't have to attend was at the same time as my PPA, so effectively I was missing out on an extra 30 mins release time. I explained the situation to the HT and asked to be released from the other assembly, which all staff had to attend. He was reluctant at first but I stood my ground.

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Noooooo...you so need to move! I only had one after school thing and we had a posh conference table and chairs in a school (no i don't know any other schools that have such a room either!) and we had a choice of home made cakes! And hardly anyone actually turned up so we had several pieces!

13. zugthebug

zugthebug New commenter

make sure you do your sums. add up all the teaching time, find 10% and talk to head teacher. Make sure you add all teaching time tho, if there are classes working then it is teaching time, regardless of whether your class is working. so in a larger school with staggered playtimes then this time counts as teaching time and therefore can be PPA. Had a HT who gave 30mins each day to KS1 staff during lunchtime as KS2 were still working. perfectly working within the letter but hardly the spirit.
    also check about short weeks, if PPA is a monday and its bank holiday, not all schools make it transferable. we can have ppa moved if it is a 4day week but not less. (technically entitled but would need to calculate 10% of 3 days of teaching time and it balances out during year

14. I think I have to agree with minnieminx in that you should tread carefully about PPA - I have been in a very similar situation and all of this past year have ended up with about an 1 hour and 45 minutes of PPA. My PPA started at lunch but I often was on a duty til 1pm. When I then went to the staffroom to work I was often called out for 'situations', my cover then every week (the head) could not work the music for the end of the day so I was called out to come and work it which eventually was just a given that I would do it at 2.45 all the time.
    However, I was often put on courses on my other days teaching, arriving later or leaving early was not a problem and this for this year I asked to have it on a Friday afternoon when I know there is more staff in and TA's that will definitely allow me the time I need.
    I must add however that I am the only teacher in my school which I'm sure is a headache for a head who wants me to just get on and muck in whenever. Every year I feel I have to remind the head that I am legally entitled to non-contact time and it is not simply a 'nice thing' that they're allowing me to do.
    I do empathise with OP situation but maybe see where you stand after a couple of weeks, see what other teachers are entitled too and what other entitlements you get - if not getting anything and other teachers get more than you do what minnieminx said and play like you're being a bit daft and ask when and where you could take the extra time you're entitle too.
    Good Luck!

15. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Ok thanks for your thoughts. I think I will wait and see how it goes and then if it's really difficult then I'll have to speak to someone.

16. The problem is, as long as people keep going 'oh, be careful, don't say anything, I wouldn't' then nothing will ever change, schools will keep on taking the michael, and we will keep losing out. The only way to change this is to stick up for yourself, EVERY teacher, whenever it happens.
    You don't have to be aggressive and angry about it - in my experience if something like this happened in private sector it was an oversight and when queried it was 'oh, you're right, sorry about that, here you go'. In Public sector we stand around wringing our hands going 'oh, simper simper'. I've been guilty of this in previous schools but though 's*d it' in this one. Guess what - I'm still alive, nothing bad has happened and they know they can't muck me around - I just quote Burgandy book etc back at them and tell them I'll run it past my union to check (I do have an awful school where the head tries it on constantly - to the level of threatening people with capabilities and redundancies (when exactly the opposite was happening in the school) within a month of being in post. She's a right card [​IMG] ). I'm not saying the private sector is better in any way than the public, but for a sector that traditionally has far more job security (admitedly slightly less so now than before) we really can be a wet bunch at times!
    I'd just go to the bursur (if you have one), or the head (if you are a smaller school) and ask on the 'I'm probably being daft' lines as others have said - a little bit of self-depreciation goes a long way, and shows you are not being aggressive, but also just raising the point shows them you aren't a twit to be triffled with. IMHO, by leaving it now, you may well find you do exactly the opposite than you wish to and find they take you for a mug forever more, knowing you didn't complain now, so probably won't later on. You don't need to be militant, just pleasant.You could also offer up something along the lines of 'I'm trying to work out my timetable and need to know when I'm getting the rest of my PPA time, so that I can put my PPA subject there' (along with the 'I can only find the 3/4 of my PPA I've been told about - I think I lost the bit of paper with the other bit written on'...)
    Good luck :)

17. inky

inky Lead commenter

Does that mean that teachers covering PPA should not be asked to cover playtime duties?

18. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

What about assemblies that you have to lead? Do they count towards the time?

19. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Teaching time. If you have to prepare and deliver and assembly.

20. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Strictly speaking, since assembly is not part of teaching time, it can't be used either for PPA nor in the calculation of 10% of timetabled teaching time