1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PPA time - who plans for it?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Teapot345, Nov 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Teapot345

Teapot345 New commenter

It was my understanding that CT should not be planning lessons or marking work that takes place in their PPA. It is my understanding that teachers plan and mark for lessons that they teach.

My class has an HLTA covering my PPA whilst the rest of the school has a QT. Aggrieved point 1.

We're at a Mexican stand off as my HLTA, quite rightly, says it is not their responsibility to plan for PPA cover.

So I searched and searched (aggrieved point 2) and eventually uncovered schools previous years planning and handed to my Hlta to break the stand off. Now they say they won't do it as I haven't planned it for them or told them what to do. IT'S ALL THERE!! Aggrieved point 3.

Can anyone point me to union advice online that I can slap it down in front of SLT?

What happens in your school re: planning for PPA?

2. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

HLTAs can plan. They do need to be given time to do it.

3. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I do plan my PPA cover lessons, but our school is quite large and I often have a different person each week. I am not saying this is right though.

4. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Whoever delivers the lessons should plan and mark the work.

andthentherewerenone likes this.
  5. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Hi Teapot,
    Most PPA at our school is covered by HLTAs. Class teachers plan and, if needed, mark work as well. As @Becky says, HLTAs can both plan and mark work - but many schools are not willing to give them PPA time to do this.

6. andthentherewerenone

andthentherewerenone New commenter

Have never planned for PPA. Our PPA is covered by teachers, who plan and mark the work themselves. I would never mark work generated in a lesson I hadn’t delivered.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I think you need to discuss this with whoever in SLT sorts such things.
    Neither you nor the HLTA should be planning for this time, but one of you will need to.
    Or can you give them something such as PE/Art/Music, that requires less planning and no marking?

8. powerpointdave

powerpointdave New commenter

Some of our teachers are covered by a PPA teacher, others by a HTLA - they plan and mark what they have taught. If I had to plan and mark for my own PPA cover it would probably take up all of my PPA time!

9. Teapot345

Teapot345 New commenter

Interesting to hear so many different set ups and the disparity across schools.

Thanks for you responses!

10. Supplylady

Supplylady New commenter

I work as a HLTA. I plan and mark work, but I am given PPA to do this.