1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PPA time for a teacher teaching 3 days a week.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by fourleafclover, Sep 24, 2015.

1. fourleafclover

fourleafclover New commenter

Hi, I was wondering how much PPA you get given for a 0.6 contract. I currently get 1 afternoon (2.15 hours) every other week. I was speaking to a colleague about this and they said I should actually be getting 1.5 hours a week or 3 hours every other week. I later found out that another colleague had broached the topic with HT and he has now been given 1.5 hours each week. The same has not been given to me even though we work the same hours. This seems unfair to me as I spend so much of my own time planning and preparing for lessons, I often come in for meetings on my days off and I attend all PD days. Do you think I should bring the topic up with HT? I'm feeling a little done over at the moment and think that HT just expects me to be none the wiser and will put up with it.

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

You should get 10% of teaching time, so 1.5 hours per week sounds about right - it will depend on the exact timetable at your school. The HT is obviously only dealing with it if people tackle them about it.

You do not have to attend meetings on your days off. You only have to attend PD days if they fall on your days; some schools will offer pay if you do the extras, some won't, but no school can expect you to do them, whether or not they offer pay (at least on standard terms and conditions, anyway).

3. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

I work 0.6 contract and get 1.5 hours PPA and 1\2 hour subject leader time each week. This comes as one afternoon each week.
    You should not attend meetings on your day off unless paid and inset days should be paid or taken, as I do, as time in leiu.

You should tackle this as you will still end up doing stuff in your own time, but at least it will be less. Don't let them take advantage.