1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PPA Time Clarification

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Colcol40, Jun 10, 2019.

1. SantasElf

SantasElf New commenter

HAHA Love it - resources!! I must remember my team are resources and not actual people!!!

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Teachers are already working long hours, as it is impossible for most to do all their PPA in their 10% PPA allocation during lesson time. What with serving lunches and cleaning the loos, teachers at your school must be totally exhausted.

How easy do you find it to recruit and retain decent teachers? I think somebody would have to be pretty desperate for a job to work in a school which demands so much extra. Or perhaps you don't really care - as long as you can stick somebody in front of a class, you have achieved your aim and got paid. And still have time to post on TES when many of your staff are probably still working.

3. caitmarlow1

caitmarlow1 New commenter

I think
    this is a spoof account piranha

agathamorse likes this.
  4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Yes, I have thought you may be right, but there is always the fear that it may be genuine.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. Morgelyn

Morgelyn New commenter

Yeah, definitely spoof! Too many contradictions/inconsistencies in CalF's various 'aim-to-inflame' posts!

Curae, FrankWolley and agathamorse like this.
  6. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

Eh? It's the contradictions and inconsistencies that make this CalF character believable IMO.

agathamorse and sabrinakat like this.
  7. BTBAM85

BTBAM85 New commenter

Oh come on, you are all being trolled and have been from when CalF started to post! This poster has blown their cover with this latest nonsense post.

Morgelyn likes this.
  8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Apart from when they are cleaning and washing up, presumably?!

Curae, Morgelyn and agathamorse like this.
  9. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

A friend of mine works at a school where all the teachers have PPA/management time on a Friday. All classes are taught by TAs and HLTAs on that day. As well as PPA, they have SLT, phase meetings etc then.
    Is the a sign of things to come?

10. Lucilla90

Lucilla90 Occasional commenter

Either way, I wish people would stop responding. (There I go, doing it myself!).

PPA is such a contentious issue. I’ve mentioned before how detrimental it was when mine was split over two shorter sessions and I didn’t get the 10%...in fact, rarely got it at all as was drawn into other things by SMT..but what a waste of time it was trying to stand my ground.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  11. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

That 20% of teaching is done by TAs and HLTAs?
    I hope not.

sunshineneeded likes this.
  12. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

How would that work? Presumably they would need to employ a large number of HLTAs ( depending on the school size) just for Friday. Do the class teachers benefit from a TA during the week and the poor TAs are meant to manage on their own on Friday? If staff are having PPA time, how do they attend SLT or phase meetings at the same time or do they have PPA in the morning and other meetings in the afternoon? It sounds rather odd and ( as caterpillar says) not an appropriate use of TAs!

13. averagedan

averagedan Established commenter

I think being given PPA time in your lunchbreak is okay... Provided you're given that time back at another point in that day. When we had the unions in our school for just this reasons there was nothing they could do....

14. averagedan

averagedan Established commenter

By okay I mean legal, I don't mean I agree with it.

15. CalF123

CalF123 New commenter

Cleaning and washing up may sound menial, but are essential tasks that need to be carried out. Employing 10 cleaners is 5 teachers I have to sack. Instead we took the decision to move to a teaching staff led ancillary service delivery model- 1 cleaning supervisor in charge of a rota’d team of 8 teachers per day.

Office admin is another area we’ve been able to make significant savings- a school near me employs 20 office staff- crazy! Everything we do now has to be focused directly on the student experience- so we now have 1 office manager and a part time office assistant, instead of 10 staff. Teaching staff now have the opportunity to get more closely involved in the minutiae of how the school is run.

Our mantra as a school now is- if something isn’t contributing directly to the kids’ education, get rid of it.

16. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

So when are you leaving?

ilovesooty, Curae, bevdex and 11 others like this.
  17. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

It probably helps that the ground rent is pretty cheap in fantasy land.

18. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I was willing to give this poster the benefit of the doubt that were genuine and not a spoofer but now I have read this I know this is a hoax (and a hoaxer with poor numeracy as well - 10 cleaners could never cost the same as 5 teachers, not even in fantasy land)

19. Dorsetdreams

Dorsetdreams Occasional commenter

"... we now have 1 office manager and a part time office assistant, instead of 10 staff. Teaching staff now have the opportunity to get more closely involved in the minutiae of how the school is run...."

I know that this is a p*** take, but oddly enough that is how schools were run when I started.

We recently had a 'cross MAT' day. After the first hour the support staff were allowed to leave. The hall went from over-flowing to half empty. HR + Finance (10+ staff) used to be done by the Head's assistant.

20. meggyd

meggyd Star commenter

In 2000 the school I worked at had a Maths teacher in charge of the school finances....keeping the books etc.

BreakEven and agathamorse like this.