1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PPA time allocated in TT

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by missbreak, Jul 1, 2011.

1. I'm secondary and primary always seem more clued up on this than we are. Are we allowed to say when we would like to have our ppa and have it allocated as such on TT? And how much is it over a two week TT. It's all become very vague and I know our school has never made a point about staff stipulating when they actually have PPA.
    Thanks

2. tomjones79

tomjones79 New commenter

Not sure why you say primary are more clued up but anyway.
    You can't stipulate when you have PPA it is decided as the timetabler sees fit. It may be possible to negotiate a suitable change, but they do not have to.
    PPA is calculated as a minimum of 10% of your teaching timetable. As an example, if you teach for 26 hours in a week then your entitled to 10% of this (2.6 hours in this case). As it is a 10% min. and must be allocated in min. half hour periods, most would arrange for you to have three hours PPA per week in this case.

3. I think what you are asking is "does it have to be written into the Timetable, or can it just be 'whenever'"?
    In which case, I believe (but am not sure), yes it has to be allocated a slot on your timetable, in either one slot, or split up into several of not less than 30 mins.
    Hopefully someone can confirm - your school can't just give you 'frees' or other names, it has to be down as PPA on your timetable (again, I believe - apologies if I am horribly out of date or just wrong).

4. No, you are right, it has to be specified on your timetable. You need to know exactly when you have it and what is being covered for you. Insist on it.