1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PPA time (again!)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by teacherdahl, Jun 24, 2015.

1. My PPA time clashes with a whole school activity afternoon and I was asked if I wanted to take part in the activity or have my PPA time. I replied that I would like to be part of the activity for the children (and parents would be present too) but would like my PPA time rescheduled. Was later told that there was enough staff for the activity and I would have to do my PPA instead. I feel that this may reflect badly on me not appearing to support my class while parents are on site but do I have any rights? I could miss my PPA time but with small children and reports to complete my time is precious AND I have already missed PPA times before now due to staffing issues and have been accommodating to the school but this makes me feel like I'm not valued at all!

Any suggestions please?

2. squirrel9367

squirrel9367 New commenter

swap half the time with someone else so you can both be seen at the event. (Says she who has missed both her ppa slots this week due to play rehearsals)

3. Nice idea but it's no one else's ppa time - they'll all be outside at the activity!!

4. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

Take your PPA.

One thing I have learned in my many years of teaching is that you can't please everyone.

Parents like you when the sun is shining.

They will respect you at all times if you stay away from popularity contests.

5. squirrel9367

squirrel9367 New commenter

That's the idea. Get someone who has ppa on another day to swap half their time. You both have half the ppa and half the activity and on their ppa day you both get half ppa and half time with class.

6. Thank you all for your responses. It was sorted out and my ppa moved. Think there was a communication issue but I was able to attend the event!!