1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PPA Teachers

Discussion in 'Primary' started by imnotsleeping, Mar 18, 2012.

1. I am fed up of having my own class full time. Tired of having to spend the vast majority of my personal time planning, marking, assessing, making resources, thinking about conversations I have to have with parents.....etc.....etc..... and having no reward! Therefore, I am looking at becoming a PPA teacher/booster teacher. However, I am wondering if my pay will remain the same as I have a mortgage to pay etc.

Is there anyone who has made that move themselves? How are you finding it?

Thanks!

2. Wotton

Wotton Established commenter

The hours will be less and so your pay will be proportional but you should be on the same pay scale. You will still have to plan and prepare for lessons.

3. I am a PPA teacher and I do all the things you say you are fed up with!!

4. Leicester_Vics

Leicester_Vics New commenter

I was given a PPA role this year (I really didn't want to do it and I'm personally hating it.)

I do all the things you say, only I have to do them at the drop of a hat, when I get put somewhere last minute. And thats when I've already spent my own time planning lessons for where I was meant to be!

There is certainly no reward for me in terms of doing PPA. I have hated this academic year so far.

5. I have covered one session of PPA for a teacher a different KS. Loved it. It was so refreshing to have different faces who were always pleased to see me.
    It always took me ages to plan though and was always a bit nerve wracking, because I worried about what their class teacher would think of the work I got them to produce.

6. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I can see the pros and cons of becoming a PPA teacher. If I were to be teaching Music and/or PE and/or ICT, I think I would find it a lot "easier", in terms of fewer pastoral duties or talking to parents and dealing with issues. However, I really enjoy teaching those subjects, so being a PPA teacher who ended up with subjects children tend to find less engaging because the class teacher doesn't want to teach them, would be not so good.

7. I did PPA cover for a few years and there are definite pros and cons.
    I loved it at first; I had a young daughter and didn't want much responsibility but wanted to work in the school. It was great because I was well-respected by the staff and pupils and still felt like a proper member of staff, just without class responsibility. I worked 2 days a week, with 4 classes covered over 2 weeks, so one week I might do Year 4 and 5, then the next week, Year 6 and 3. I had some planning responsibility, which was great as I was in control of what I taught and I also offered to do displays and help with assemblies, productions and things like that. I didn't have to do parents evenings and didn't work on the staff meeting day so it all felt very free and easy. I really enjoyed getting to know all of the children in the school and being in so many classrooms and I'm definitely a better, more flexible teacher as a result. You have to blend in with other peoples' ideas and do things their way. I also offered to do a club as I wanted to help out.
    Now on to the cons! Not working staff meeting days left me feeling out of touch and out of the whole decision-making process. Even though I only worked 2 days, I still had to do a duty - but other teachers in our school definitely don't do one duty for every two days they work. Some teachers really took the p*** - Y3 always managed to shift their extended writing onto their PPA days which was just unfair as I had no idea as to what they had been looking at and had a horrendous amount of marking every time I was in there. Y6 seemed to give me a whole reading test to mark every time I was covering that class. I also always ended up doing the stuff no-one else wanted to teach, especially RE and time in Maths.
    Some teachers are really appreciative of PPA staff, some aren't. Some treat you like supply and, even when they have asked you to cover RE, will tell you not to teach it as they have a load of Science for you to cover instead. This got quite frustrating in the end as there are only so many hours in the day and if there's nothing in the RE books then you're in trouble!
    All in all, it suited me at the time but I was glad to stop doing it and get back into one class. It was tricky at first because I was used to seeing each class for one day a fortnight and the irritating kids just didn't get to me like they do when you're with them day in, day out. I had to learn to spend a LOT of time with just one group of children again! It meant I kept my job though and was well worth it.
    Hope this helps in some way! x

8. crysys

crysys Occasional commenter

Hi,
    I was a PPA teacher in Croydon before relocating. I loved it as I was in complete control of my days - I taught R.E. and teachers could not interfere with that. I was rarely drafted in to cover illness etc except on my free days so the option to earn more money was always there. I was hoping to find equivalent work here in Essex but alas I quickly discovered that HLTAs are doing this job in the vast majority of schools. Part-time work is very scarse indeed. I'd say that it's actually more tiring on a running around daily basis BUT the benefits of not having full class responsibilities easily outweigh that issue. You get to know all the children and like being grandma - you get to hand them back again at the end of the day!
    Make sure that enough PPA jobs exist before quitting and if part-time and the pay cut seems tough, remember that the school could use you on your free days if you so wish - I have worked full-time on UPS1 with little or no responsibility which was great. I was able to enjoy teaching and formed relationships with so many children. It was so much like the 'old' days! I really miss it!

9. It depends on the subject you teach on ppa. As a ppa teacher your pay shouldn't be less (unless the hours are). In my school the ppa position as been covered by 3 different teachers since it was introduced.
    We are just teachers and the ppa role is open to anyone requesting it. So,the current ppa teacher could well find themselves with their own class in September.
    Currently our ppa teaches the Music and PE so has no marking !. As a result they tend to be around a bit more at lunch times and do an extra after school club. That was their choice to do so.#
    Other ppa teachers have taught the geography and history or what ever their passion is.
    PPA teachers in our school are no more vunerable to redundancy than anyone else.
    For me, I wouldn't want to cover PPA though.

10. On balance, I think it's better to be a class teacher than PPA. Yes, you avoid tedium like APP, parents' evenings and pupil progress meetings... But you also have a harder time with behaviour (even really great, experienced PPA teachers definitely get worse behaviour, from what I've observed) and you don't get all the rewards which come from having your own class and helping them progress. Also, I freely admit that I give the subjects I'm not so crazy about to the PPA woman wherever possible! I did PPA cover for a few months last year and definitely got a loooot of PE and French! [​IMG]

11. Leicester_Vics

Leicester_Vics New commenter

Where is that coming from? I still have to do APP. I most definitely have to do parents evening and pupil progress meetings too!

12. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

I think the PPA situation varies so much from school to school so it's impossible to generalise.
    The above seem to pretty much set out the pros and cons!

13. Oh, bad luck! Didn't happen at any placement schools, where I did PPA cover or at my current place! [​IMG]

14. Did I understand the original post correctly? You had a class full time with no PPA time for yourself so that you had to do all the PPA in your own time. If that is so why did you put up with it since you should be having 10% PPA time where you are not timetabled to teach or carry out any other function than your planning etc.
    There are tens ot thousands of supply teacers who would love the chance to do some teaching during PPA time and it is not cover since cover only occurs when a teacer is absent from their timetabled teaching sessions. But these supply teachers are being denied the chance to work because of the use of support staff during PPA time.
    I wonder if the original poster is just one of many teachers who do not get PPA time. I suspect that is the case based on the results that I got from a survey I conducted among primary schools on the use of support staff during PPA time.

15. Thank you for your replies it has given me much food for thought. Bronco - I think you have got the wrong end of the stick. I want to change to being a Ppa teacher. Thanks again.

16. Im a PPA teacher , and like a previous poster mentioned...I hate it too. I am now starting to look for another job, but Im wondering what HT will think when I inform them that's what my role is. Previously I taught in infants, now Im all around the school.
    'why do you want to leave your job? why do you want to apply here?' Surely these are the questions that will be asked when visiting a new school.
    Will the HT think..'oh here is one of those teachers that dont make the grade?
    Thanks

17. Just tell them that you've found it a really useful experience to work with all year groups: it has helped you develop your subject knowledge, see things like continuity and progression, etc etc. Point out the positive ways it has helped your performance and knowledge and say that whilst it was a great learning opportunity (or whatever you want to call it), you now want to use what you've learned and focus on one class. Obviously you'll think of better wording but you can definitely put it across positively. If you'd only worked in infants, your knowledge of the next key stages must have been limited so this ppa cover has definitely helped you. Just say that it was never your long term goal, just a stepping stone to your next role, ie the one you'll be applying for. Sorry if this is a bit rambling. I did ppa cover for a year and really didn't like it at the time but looking back I can see it was a great learning opportunity for me.

18. Thank you very much for replying. I have struggled this year to find anything positive about my role this year.