1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PPA on Strike Day

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MPDear, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Yes... nothing. You have the right to withdraw your labour and that's that. If your day included PPA then that is just the luck of the draw. The annoying thing is that the school just might not notice you're on strike.

2. Agreed. Your ppa is part of your labour. Sorry- bad luck - but at least you get it uninterrupted!!!

3. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

I would disagree. You have a right to 10% of the teaching time you do that week regardless of whether you are 'off' one day. Work out what 10% of your 4 days is.

4. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Established commenter

Morally, I think you'd be pushing your luck to ask for your PPA back, when you lost it through your own actions. I'm not anti-strike at all, but it is your choice to strike and if I was your HT I would be less than impressed if you wanted it back on another day.

5. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

There's a very long thread about this on the school management forum.

There appear to be 2 views...

1. The teacher has the opportunity to have their timetabled PPA on that Thursday, they are choosing not to avail themselves of the opportunity, therefore no re-scheduling.

2. The teacher should have PPA that week, but less that usual, i.e. 10% of what they have taught arranged at a time when the striker isn't striking.

Personally I'm with Option 1, they have the right to be in school taking their PPA, no-one is forcing them not to go into school.

6. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

My PPA is on strike day too and I won't be asking for it at another point. However the OP asked for what he/she is entitled to. They are entitled to 10% of what they have taught that week.

7. If you are striking you cannot go onto school premises therefore you cannot access resources to carry out PPA.
    I will lose my right to PPA, my TA will lose her extra pay for cover and I have to hand paper work in the day before it is due because I cannot enter school premises.
    It looks to me that I can strike but they can make it very difficult so the end result is that I dont really have a right, they all get taken away from me.

8. Why can't the TA still cover the class? (If that's what she would normally be doing.) If your school is closed I think the TA should still be paid - not her fault. (I'm not an expert but this seems fair and reasonable.)

9. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

As I understand it, the TA would only be able to cover the class for the normal PPA session, not the whole day. This would mean that the class in question could only be in school for part of a day.

I am also striking and my PPA afternoon is a Thursday,m covered by the Deputy. She gave me extra today to make up for what I will lose next week. I didn't ask, she just offered.

10. WB

WB New commenter

Are you serious?
    If the school has to make up PPA time then I think you should make up the Directed Time hous.

11. I'm an NQT and I'm striking. On a Thursday I am usually out of the classroom all day for PPA and NQT time. The ppa cover who usually takes my class will be elsewhere in the school that day and my children have been told not to come in. Apparently the head said it would be against strike action for her to still cover my class.

12. WB

WB New commenter

Your contract says you have to have 10% PPA time. Your contract also says you have to turn up for work on 195 days. A contract is a two way thing, you can't just pick and choose which bits you want.

13. Unfortunately ATL advisor said that no PPA is the norm for those striking on their PPA day. It just tough luck.
    I can see this but I also feel that goodwill and we support you and all the take and no give stinks!
    I feel like not striking if everyone goes out next time just to be bloody awkward but this really is missing the point.
    So we are just the pawns in a nasty no win game, who lose whatever way we play it.

14. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

Jeezzz some teachers really do take the pis.s PPA on top of a day off for strike action?? What planet are some people on at a time of mass unemployment and recession-it would be funny if it wasnt such self centered cra.p

15. No your totally right it is funny. Funny ha ha because:
    1 if you are a teacher then your a misguided individual with no forthought for your old age
    2 your arrogant remarks make me think you are only out there for yourself (very worrying considering Teachers are generally people that care and are shaping the society you will one day rely on when you are old)
    3 I had the insight to plan for my old age and I am actually supporting my colleagues that are not fortunate enough to have more than one string to their bow on a teachers wage
    4 I guess you will be one of those people only too happy to accept a solution better than the one on offer knowing you stood back and let others do your fighting
    self centered **** is spot on and your delivering it x

16. No need to you language like that here Red Heron. You have spent all evening being quite nasty to everyone who does not share your view, calling people names like that is NOT WARRANTED

17. And there we have the reason why our country is in such a mess. Lazy take it but dont give it back workers that only have one thing on their agenda.

Yawn, case closed as far as I am concerned. You have persuaded me that teachers like you dont deserve a decent pension because you don't put in the work in the first place.

Thanks for giving the rest of us a bad name. Finishing at 3.30 sounds like you really give it your all (not).

18. It's this kind of stereotyping that gives teachers a bad name.

19. I voted for the strike and feel very strongly about it but am on a residential trip with my Year 6 kids on the 30th. Moral dilemma? I think not. If I went on strike that day, the 3 day visit would be cancelled as there is no-one else who would cover for me. Couldn't and wouldn't do that to the kids who've been looking forward to it all year.
    Can't believe anyone would even consider asking for PPA on another day in these circumstances. Get over it