1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PPA on an INSET day

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by emilystrange, Jun 13, 2011.

1. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

ppa is a % of your teaching hours, so you will still accrue some.

2. langteacher

langteacher New commenter

how can this be if all the ppa falls on that day and that's an inset day?

i'd just take it on the chin to be honest, you will have had fewer lessons to plan. i assume that you will not have taught any lessons on the inset day

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

I have a feeling that this is a Primary/Secondary difference, ppa being blocked in primary and scattered in secondary

4. The other staff didn't have to plan lessons on that day either so why should it only be me that loses out?

5. This is the same argument I had with my head when I missed PPA due to the bank holiday. I hadn't had Monday PPA before so went and asked what happened if it was missed because of this reason. I was told that I would probably miss it, as I wasn't teaching as much that week. As the staff PPA is spread through the week in my place I spoke up and said that everyone wasn't teaching that day either but still had their PPA. Another teacher and I both missed it that day and everyone else had it.
    I made sure that I went back to the head when opportunities arose to suggest ways that the teacher and I could get our time back, and we did manage to recoup our non contact time in a few different ways.
    In previous years the whole staff have missed PPA in weeks where there have been inset days (especially if there was more than one).....and the PPA teachers were given the time to plan for all their classes. As we were allocated some of the inset as classroom time instead of meetings, none of us minded.

6. langteacher

langteacher New commenter

The other staff didn't have to plan lessons on that day either so why should it only be me that loses out?
    just a thought but lets say the inset day fellon a full teaching day for you.....would you then say "actually I won't be teaching all my lessons this week so I don't need ally my PPA time"?

Teaching is one of those jobs where we have busy times and (hopefully) quiet times. I am secondary. My PPA comes in a block because that's just the way it fits into the timetable. Sometimes, this has fallen on INSET, sometimes INSET has fallenon full teaching days and I have not had to plan as much that week, or mark as much work as the pupils have not been there. That's just the way it is.
    Teaching is one of those jobs that, if you let it, it can take over your life. I am not one of those people but neither would I say, right that's it, I have done my hour for this meeting, I'm off now. Sometimes things run over, sometimes they take less time. It's the same with PPA. If it happened every month or whatever then fair enough, but how much are we actually talking here? How many training days is it? 5 or something? that's about 10 hours of PPA spread across a whole year

7. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

this simply highlights one of numerous issues surrounding PPA which wise school managements would reach an agreed approach to with the staff, that all can see is fair and predictable.

8. So there was an INSET day, so what?
    You still taught for the other 4 days of the week and are entitled to your PPA time for those days.
    Presumably the INSET day was planned in advance and therefore it would not be too difficult for the school to re-schedule your (reduced) PPA time, even for the least organised leadership.

9. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

We rearrange ours for another day. Inset often falls on my day .