1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PPA & NQT time: any advice?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by princesstulip, Dec 14, 2011.

1. princesstulip

princesstulip New commenter

Normal

false
    false
    false

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:10.0pt;
    font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-ansi-language:#0400;
    mso-fareast-language:#0400;
    mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

I’m starting my
    first teaching job (primary) after Christmas. I met my NQT mentor yesterday. When I asked about PPA so I know before starting my
    for planning, she said the teacher I’m replacing has PPA for an hour and a half
    one morning and it would be best for me to take the same time so as not to
    cause issues with timetables. That is fair enough. She said I’ll need another
    half-day to make up my entitlement as an NQT. As I have another
    study commitment which involves some time off once a month, on the same
    afternoon (the head knows about this), she suggested it will be easiest for me
    to take this afternoon each week. That gives me a total
    of 4 hours a week. I want to check 2 things before I decide whether to speak to
    her again about this:

1) Is this
    enough time?

It’s not a matter of moaning about hours or being
    awkward, I just want to make sure I have enough preparation and training time to perform to
    the best of my ability.

2) Will having
    my time split like this affect my NQT training?

From what I have seen so far most NQTs
    have a full day off or at least a full morning, allowing them to attend local courses and
    NQT meetings etc. I know this isn’t something schools have to do for NQTS but won’t I miss out on a lot by not having
    enough time off to go to these things? Or are schools not
    actually obliged to let me go for training? I don’t know yet!

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Most secondary schools cannot give NQTs huge blocks of time for PPA/NQT time, so I assume you're talking about primary colleagues. Nonetheless, you have no entitlement to get all your time in a full day (or even in full half days) - it's down to the school.
    As for attending meetings, etc - the best training for any NQT is to spend time in school observing and/or working with experienced teachers. Meetings and courses are all very nice, but rarely do they make a jot of difference to developing your skills as a teacher.
    And no, they are not 'obliged' to let you go to any external meetings or courses in school time.

3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I have one morning for PPA and one afternoon for NQT. If I have a course to go on (these are all agreed in advance with the head) then I go, whichever day of the week it is, but I don't get NQT time. If the course is on the same day as PPA then the head rearranges the PPA for a different day.