1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PPA / non contact time on long term supply

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by charlene27, Nov 12, 2019.

1. charlene27

charlene27 New commenter

Hi

I am on a long term full time supply post & have been at the school for a month . I am expected to do a lot of additional planning for Y11 who have not had a regular teacher since March .

However I'm on 6 periods a day mainly teaching KS3 . What are the legal requirements for this ? Am I eligible for some planning time ? It is exhausting, I would be better taking a day off each week but they insist on full time .

Thanks in advance

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I always found that doing long-term meant I had to 'forgo' things like PPA, or if it was given I was first in line to lose it if staff were absent / needed extra planning etc. School's reasoning is they pay a 'daily rate' and therefore 'slack time' is pay for nor working. I doubt many schools are aware of how big a cut Agencies take or how 'holiday pay' is supposed to be factored into that equation.

However first port of call would be to take it up with the agency, as they are your 'employers' not the school, who are only sub-contractors.

agathamorse and Stiltskin like this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

If you are employed by an agency then STPCD does not apply to you even in an LA school. So you have no legal right to PPA time (and STPCD does not give any classroom teacher a right to non-contact time other than PPA). STPCD only applies mandatorily to teachers whose contract of employment is directly with the LA or the governing body of an LA school.

So as Lara says you need to speak to the agency to get PPA time included in your contract with them if the school refuses.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Insist on getting some PPA time - I threatened to walk out unless they gave me some breaks in the day.

Jesmond12, MissGeorgi and agathamorse like this.
  5. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Occasional commenter

Reading these comments, I guess I have been lucky in the fact that I have always had PPA time on long-term supply. Maybe it is because I am primary and so tend to take over from the previous teacher (including their PPA slot). I did do one stint on a medium term rolling basis when I didn't have any PPA (until the penultimate week) and it was exhausting so I do know how you feel.

Is there somebody you can ask? If they are expecting you to plan and mark and do assessments and duties and have a form and write reports and whatever else, it would be somewhat unreasonable of them to refuse you any PPA even if there is no statutory entitlement.

Have you been timetabled for a full 30 lessons (if you have six a day) or are you bring used for cover in the gaps? If the latter, it might be a case of asking the HOD or agency or whomever to clarify with the person in charge of doing cover that although you are supply, you are not automatically actually free on those lessons as you need it for PPA (if that makes sense) - they may just have seen supply teacher and filled up the timetable with you...

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

I really don't see how taking this up with the agency would have any effect whatsoever. The agent is only interested in money and will not want to jeopardise the lucrative arrangement with the school. Of course any of these parasites would lie and say, "I did all I could but...…"

Personally I would go direct to the Cover Organiser who I'll already have buttered up as part of my 'organ grinders and monkeys" fact-finding (Cover Organisers are always organ-grinders unless proved otherwise). If she won't or can't play ball over this then work out which SLT needs to be approached to point out that this valued supply is not capable of delivering quality lessons without some PPA as well. In short it's down to social skills and political game-playing, not any skills that got you your QTS.

7. lovejoy_antiques

lovejoy_antiques Occasional commenter

The schools mentality is they pay an hourly rate. Yours needs to be you earn an hourly rate. Do what you can do during the hours they pay you for. Then go home on time with a clear conscience. If anyone pulls you up about marking or quality of lessons then you can point out you have not had planning time factored into your timetable. Until then don't make waves. You're there to solve a problem not create one. Keep your head down, smile, accept that SLT are always right, keep the kids in the room and try to foster an environment where the ones who want to get on are not hindered by reluctant learners. Teach every day like it's your last as you are not on a contract so it could all end tomorrow.

8. FrauRussell

FrauRussell New commenter

I'd speak to HOD/cover manager and say perfectly reasonably that they may not realise you are planning/marking (not everyone does) and if you are to continue you need PPA. If they are reasonable, and many schools are, they'll sort it. If not, you'll need to take some view on what your next move should be. Good luck.

MissGeorgi, agathamorse and Deirds like this.
  9. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

When I was a HT I included any long term supply teacher in PPA arrangements.

The planning needed to be done and we made sure that the long term supply was treated as a member of staff including paying for them to attend INSET days.

10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Indeed, the better schools do indeed follow through on that, but when I did supply it was via the LA, so it was slightly different.

agathamorse likes this.
  11. charlene27

charlene27 New commenter

Thanks so much for all your advice . I am working late after hours & they have extended my contract so I will discuss with cover supervisor & HOD before agreeing to extension.

agathamorse likes this.