1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PPA management

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by FraPandolf, Oct 4, 2015.

1. FraPandolf

FraPandolf New commenter

Can the school enforce that PPAs are used only for communal marking? No planning or prep time.

2. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

I didn't think so. It's my understanding that it cannot be directed time so therefore up to you what you do in it. What's the reasoning behind the decision?

3. FraPandolf

FraPandolf New commenter

I think the true reason is that a book scrutiny produced unfavourable results a few weeks ago.

Given reason is that it will reduce workload and be beneficial to mark as a dept. I don't disagree with the 2nd part. Currently 2 of my 4 PPAs are being directed to marking. I don't shirk my responsibilities but I prefer to mark at home.

4. FraPandolf

FraPandolf New commenter

Sorry - earlier post was misleading. Everyone still seems to have 1 hour prep time but non-negotiable marking time.

5. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Academy?

PPA is planning, preparation and assessment time as clearly laid down in School Teachers Pay and Conditions Document 2015. What you do during that time is up to you - if you want to sit and stare out of the window you can, but it will just mean you have to do the PPA stuff somewhere else in your day.

6. FraPandolf

FraPandolf New commenter

Yep - Academy. Thanks snowyhead.