1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PPA in the morning...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by I_like_food, Apr 11, 2012.

1. After Easter, my PPA is changing from one afternoon a week to one morning a week. Whilst in theory I will get more time which is great, the children I teach will be losing out on 1 Literacy and 1 Numeracy lesson a week. Am trying to fit in the Literacy with Topic where I can, but I don't know how to make up for the Numeracy. My PPA teacher will be covering Science in the morning as we agreed it would be difficult for her to plan for one Literacy and Numeracy lesson each week, trying to fit it in with what I would be doing in class.

Wondered how other people coordinated PPA cover in the mornings?

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Can you not fit your literacy and numeracy in the afternoon session where science would have been taught?

3. At the moment my management time is alternate mornings, and I plan Literacy and Numeracy as normal but my PPA cover teacher teaches it. It's not ideal because obviously she doesn't know the children inside out like I do, but it works OK.
    The other option is to completely swap your day around - and do Lit/Num in the afternoon. Again not ideal but mornings are the prime time for concentration.
    I make sure my class get 5 Literacy lessons and 5 Numeracy lessons a week no matter what. If your PPA teacher is doing Science in the morning then thats wider curriculum time, so do Lit/Num that afternoon.

4. I don't have this issue because of PPA but have had similar decisions to make as I am in a job share. With regard to numeracy: could she just concentrate on shape, space and measures objectives? This could be done once a week as a standalone lesson. We .do this and it works fine. With literacy this can be more difficult but we did a similar thing whereby the one of us who only taught one literacy lesson a week taught all the poetry. As it is a different teacher, the children don't get confused by the fact that they're covering different types of literacy and numeracy.

5. I have given my PPA cover teacher a foundation subject which she plans and then therefore can see progression, tick off skills and assess herself. Sounds as though i have lumped her with more work, but we both find it is actually easier, as we do not have to arrange planning time and she doesn't feel like i am controlling a subject she is teaching. I then teach my literacy and numeracy in the afternoons. I also use ICT lessons to top up numeracy time too. Good luck, hope you find a solution that works for both of you.

6. Our Literacy and Numeracy sessions are planned daily based on AfL to identify next steps so it does not lend itself to being taught by another teacher. You would be relying on their AfL but you would have to know where you are planning to take them so it has the potential to get messy. So we just do 4 Literacy and Numeracy sessions per week on the days that we are in. Some of these sessions are timetabled for the afternoons as well in order to have an LSA in every Literacy and Numeracy session.

7. cazzielou

cazzielou New commenter

I have found this hard as the previous schools I have worked in have always had an afternoon for PPA but in the school that I have just moved to we have it on a Friday morning, until 11.30. Our TA takes the class supported by an additional TA do we cannot plan any direct teaching during this time. Our head teacher has now told us that we have to have maths and English every day so w do guided reading when I come back at 11.30 and in the afternoon we do a talk it solve it session relating to the skills we have learnt and then we do a literacy session which is quite relaxed, usually role play or storytelling, before golden time. So far it is working quite well and helps to wrap up the weeks work. We don't have time for a full length lesson every day so a shorter one on a friday is a good compromise.

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Can you make your four numeracy lessons a little longer and just have the four? Science shouldn't really take all morning, so could the PPA teacher do some basic skills maths as well?

Or just have four lessons, it isn't compulsory to have five.

9. Linda555

Linda555 New commenter

When we had PPA in the morning withYear 4, we set mental maths and problem solving lessons for Maths, so the cover teacher developed children's problem solving skills and was able to monitor and assess on an ongoing basis. They also taught standalone literacy lessons - comprehension, word-based skills, spelling tests etc. It required a little extra thought, but after a while it felt comfortable.

10. We just plan a weeks worth of maths and literacy, and on the PPA morning the cover just teaches those planned lessons...That way they still get 5 maths and literacy lessons a week :)

11. CB123

CB123 New commenter

As I think a previous poster said. The PPA cover still has maths and Englsih but the PPA teacher covers (plans) their own objectives. In the past I have given the PPA teacher Poems to do in English and measure or shape for maths. It seems to work better than passing your planning to someone else as lets be fair we all have our own way of teaching things and I always found it hard to pick up what someone else had taught.

12. dc521

dc521 New commenter

I have my PPA on a Wednesday morning and teach the Maths and English in the afternoon. To make my life easier, the maths work tends to be a 'simple' lesson where we cover an objective or idea from the unit that the children can work on easily. The English lesson tends to be our reading skills work which the children enjoy.
    Also, I've been very blunt with my class. It doesn't matter when the lesson is taught, you must produce your best work in it.

13. My children get a series of +-xdiv tests - it's competitive and they have to get a certain mark to get to the next level. Very good for their mental maths. Then they do a little activity - usually interactive to do with our focus for the week, or something I've noticed is weak and needs reinforcement.

14. I have my PPA on a morning, but I plan a whole weeks lit and num. The cover teahcer just teaches the sessions I have planned. It doesn't pose a problem for me.

15. But it would if the cover teacher did not assess and feedback to you on how the children did so that you could tweak your weekly plan for the following lesson. (As in AfL)

16. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

As a PPA teacher in a schoolwhere Maths is fixed in the morning I either (in
    1) teach the lesson as planned by the teacher
    2) pick up something that they have highlighted from the previous session and work on that or
    3) teach a problem solving lesson or investigation linked to the topic they are covering.
    In ALL cases I feedback to the teacher.

17. I don't usually post on Primary but I felt I could contribute to this subject. I am a PPA teacher and the teachers I cover plan a whole week of literacy and numeracy and I teach whatever is planned for that day. I always feedback to the teacher as to whether or not the children have achieved the LO. Plus I mark the books and add relevant comments. One of the teachers I cover has started to give me a reading comprehension activity to do with the children during the literacy lesson. So for her it means less planning and for me I know exactly what I'm doing each week.

18. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I am staggered by the number of people who are planning lessons to be taught during their PPA time. Surely part of the point of PPA is to give teachers time to PLAN, but if you're planning for someone else to teach during that time, you might as well teach it anyway (given teaching is the fun part of the whole process)!
    No school I have ever worked in has expected teachers to plan what their class will be taught during PPA.

19. It is good to note from the posts here so far that some schools are taking note of regulations and guidance which state that all classes must be assigned a qualified teacher to teach them. It is just a pity that not all schools do this so that the result is that about 60% of children in primary schools do not have a teacher to teach them all the time.
    Head teachers also have guidelines on cover provision (and PPA time is not cover since cover only occurs when teachers are absent from timetabled lessons) which state that they should take account of subject teaching time lost and that there should be a maximum of 3 days cover.
    If PPA time is equated to cover then children in primary schools could be losing at least 20% of their subject teaching time in English and Maths and an even greater percentage of time in some foundation subjects over the course of a year. Is this acceptable?
    Politicians are criticising teachers for causing children to lose a day's education when teachers strike. But how many days education do they have without a teacher over the course of a year during PPA time.