1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PPA in assembly time

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by iamthewalrus, Nov 1, 2011.

1. PPA timetabled in assembly is not allowed - fact! But can anybody direct me to the actual legislation that proves this (rather than all the recommendations/union guidance that seems to litter the web!?)

2. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I dont think each block of time can be less than 30 mins either. As most assemblies last 20 mins ( in primary anyway) the time slot is too short.

3. Indeed.
    Nor can assembly time be used in the calculation of a PPA slot.

4. frymeariver

frymeariver New commenter

Is the question whether you can have PPA during an assembly slot? I would have thought PPA could be assigned at any point during the school day (except lunchtime which is a legal entitlement) when you are not directed to undertake another task, like sitting in the assembly managing children. What I mean is that if the way to create your PPA is to have the class in an assembly then how is that different to them being taught by another teacher as far as your PPA is concerned? You are still getting the PPA to which you are entitled.
    Obviously you are not entitled to PPA for the assembly time (hence the point in the guidance that it has to be 10% of the time you are meant to be teaching) but as long as the slot is 30 minutes long I am not as sure that this is a problem as other posters seem to be.
    Perhaps the issue we should all be concerned with is that the rules on PPA aren't explicit enough about when and how it should be assigned. Or perhaps I am just being a bit thick about it.

5. Many thanks everyone - exactly what I needed (but am left feeling I should have known exactly where to look!!)