1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PPA - How do schools close for PPA time?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by happyshopper, Jun 23, 2020.

1. happyshopper

happyshopper New commenter

Hi

Can you let me know if your school 'closes' for PPA. E.g. It is not open to pupils so teachers have dedicated PPA time when children are not in the building?

How do schools do this when the STPCD states that PPA should be taken during timetabled teaching time?

2. Owleyes00

Owleyes00 New commenter

Our kids are only doing 3 days a week on a rota (3 bubbles in every day) at the moment so I get Monday and Tuesday away from school, I assume in theory to take any planning time I need. As it happens, the days are shorted and I have much fewer children and a sparser curriculum with lots of PE/outside time so I have been able to get it all done before/after school and enjoy the 4 day weekend!

3. happyshopper

Thanks. What I really am asking is that when schools are open as 'normal'. How do schools who close early for PPA time do it as it is in contravention of the STPCD. ??

4. Owleyes00

Owleyes00 New commenter

I suppose because this period of time would normally be teaching time. I would be more concerned about the fact that the children are missing half a day a week of their learning time? Do schools actually do this? I have only ever heard of one school which closes early on a Friday for teacher PPA but this is a residential school with a large catchment area so the children need extra time to get home...

5. happyshopper

I know there was a lot of talk of this happening in a number of schools in Birmingham. Did it happen? Are schools still closing for PPA?

6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Schools I know that do this, especially primary, do have the children in but being PPA being covered by, eg Sports coaches.

My secondary used to do PPA that way for part of every Wednesday morning. The head's justification (had anyone ever asked them - but who would have asked?) would be that even though pupils weren't in the building it was still part of the timetabled teaching week because pupils were using the time for individual study (they weren't in fact, just having alie in on Wednesdays!)

Surely what's more important is that PPA time is within Directed Time?

7. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

My old school closes to children on a Friday for staff PPA time and deep clean during the current situation. Key worker children are still in on a Friday.

8. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I know of 4 Primary schools that did this in my suburb of Brum during the last academic year. I don't know if they were still doing it prior to the Covid closure.

9. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Local secondary school closes at 12.30 on Fridays but do two days a week until 4.30.
    Local infant school closes at 2.00 on Friday. That’s everyone’s ppa. Huge primary Down the road closes at 2.30 every day of the week!

Not sure how they get their hours in but....

10. Wonderwoman1

Wonderwoman1 New commenter

In normal times PPA cover is covered by a HLTA and partly by a Forest School session, which is lead by a Forest School Teacher from outside the school.
    At the moment because we have had small groups of children PPA is being covered by the Teaching Assistant or HLTA who is attached to each bubble. The TA's are not paid any extra money to do this.

Camokidmommy likes this.
  11. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

In normal times, PPA in our school is covered by a mixture of a non-class based teacher; HLTAs and sports coaches. At the moment, school closes for all except the key worker bubble at 12 on Fridays for PPA (which is taken at home) and deep clean. I think there's talk of this continuing in September.

12. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Not all schools follow STPCD. So academies, free schools, independents and the like can all do this with no problem.

13. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Can't say what's normal, but even if school is on STPCD (many aren't) it may not be the contravention of STPCD you assume.

STPCD says

PPA time must be provided in units of not less than half an hour during the school’s timetabled teaching week and must amount to not less than 10% of the teacher’s timetabled teaching time.

The timetabled teaching week refers to school session hours that are timetabled for teaching, including PPA time and other non-contact time but excluding break times, registration and assemblies.

STPCD doesn't say that the "timetabled teaching week" can only include the times when children are required to be in school. It says that the "timetabled teaching week" includes PPA time. So IMO if a school says that on eg a Friday afternoon the pupils go home at lunchtime but staff stay for PPA it can do so and it would comply with STPCD (provided the PPA time is within your 1265 hours Directed Time)