1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PPA for part-timers

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by jrennard, Nov 21, 2019.

1. jrennard

jrennard New commenter

I recently reduced my teaching from 3 days a week (.6 or 60%) with PPA paid rather than taken (10% added on or .06) to 2 and a half days a week also with PPA to be added to my salary. In my contract my hours are now documented as .5 or 50%.

I was expecting a salary of 55% or .55. I'm puzzled by the reduction. Does this sound right?

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

It might just be error/miscommunication. Your previous contract said 0.66, presumably.

Just pop and see whoever sent the contract out and say that it was agree that it would be 0.5 plus PPA, so should be 0.55. If that doesn't work, ask when you're getting your PPA.

I'm assuming your half day is genuinely half a day. If it's an afternoon and afternoons are shorter, then you might be teaching only 0.48, say. You still ought to be getting more than 0.02 PPA, but the calculation might be slightly different.

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

If you are actually teaching 50% of the week, then you are right that it should be 55% including PPA. Take @frustum's advice and query it. Most of these things are down to miscommunication or simple human error rather than anything sinister, so a polite enquiry usually works. I hope it does.