1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PPA expectations - blocks or split

Discussion in 'Primary' started by C30, Jul 10, 2019.

1. C30

C30 New commenter

Is it reasonable for a school to split 1hr15mins of PPA time into 15mins per day?
    I am against this proposal but is it me that's being unreasonable by wanting one or two longer blocks as I think the time would be used more effectively.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

It's unreasonable and, if you are on STPCD, not allowed. Consult your union asap. 15 minutes isn't long enough to get going on anything IMV!

STPCD says (my underline)

52.5. All teachers who participate in the teaching of pupils are entitled to reasonable periods of Planning, Preparation and Assessment (PPA) time as part of the 1265 hours referred to in paragraph 51.5 or pro rata equivalent (as the case may be) to enable the discharge of the professional responsibilities of teaching and assessment. PPA time must be provided in units of not less than half an hour during the school’s timetabled teaching week and must amount to not less than 10% of the teacher’s timetabled teaching time. A teacher must not be required to carry out any other duties during the teacher’s PPA time.

3. C30

C30 New commenter

Thanks. I'm taken aback at the suggestion so thanks for the link.