1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PPA entitlements

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by hutchison_lj, Oct 27, 2019.

1. hutchison_lj

hutchison_lj New commenter

Hi all

I currently work full time and within this, job share a class 2.5 days a week and the rest of the time I have senco time and cover ppa- my headteacher has said I can have 1.5 hours a week ppa (not inclusive of Sen time) even though I am teaching these classes but I don’t plan for them. I do however do observations (eyfs) while covering.
    I’m not sure this is correct as I am contracted to full time. Can anyone help me out please?
    Many thanks

2. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 New commenter

So you have 1.5 hours a week I'm guessing because that's half the time a full time teacher would have and you're only teaching half the time.
    You already have allocated senco time.
    And the rest of the time you don't plan for those sessions.
    Eyfs obs are done during the time you are covering because they're in the moment. Maybe you'll have to do a little finishing off outside of lesson time hit this is normal for any teacher who is marking or whatever over break time.
    I don't know legal limits and what people are entitled to but it seems pretty fair on the face of it.

3. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

You need to work out your actual teaching hours, ie, how many hours do your regular full time teachers do, excluding early morning work, etc. You don't exclude your ppa cover, that's still part of your teaching load and should be included.

For 1.5hrs to be correct, your contact hours would be 15, you job share 2.5days, so unless your PPA class cover is .5 days a week you should be entitled to more.

I had a H/T who tried the same until I put my foot down. I looked at it as being paid effectively 10% less than everyone else, or they were gaining 10% free teaching. Either way, I was losing out. Do your calculation, compare with colleagues time and present it to your H/T.

4. hutchison_lj

I posted a reply but not sure where that went. My sen time is hit and miss whether I have it. So this is a breakdown of this week :

Monday : maternity appt 9-11am then in class and lunch cover for the rest of the day. 10 minute lunch.

Tuesday: in cover class all day

Wednesday: ppa cover am then my class pm through to Friday.

Is PPA entitlement based on contact time or time with my own class?

5. hutchison_lj

My normal week would look something like:

monday: forest school cover am and sen time pm

Tuesday: ppa cover am

Wednesday: ppa cover am then my class pm through Friday

So realistically Tuesday pm is free

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

One afternoon a week is about right for a full time teacher.
    Given you don't plan for half the week, I would say this sounds reasonably generous.

7. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 New commenter

I agree. I thought it was all good.
    But I'm not up on my entitlements as don't have a union or anything.