1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PPA entitlement

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Browneyedgirl87, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I'm an NQT and I currently have a full day out of the classroom every week (half a day as PPA, half a day as NQT time). In a couple of weeks, I'll be going on a course for 2 days. I've been told that this course will form my NQT time for that week, so I won't have my usual day out of the classroom. When I reminded the deputy head that half of my day out is classed as PPA time and questioned her about whether I'll still get this, despite going on a 2-day course, I was told 'no'. The head had apparently said that I wouldn't need my normal non-contact day because I was already going to be out of school for 2 days that week (I haven't yet had chance to speak to the head directly about this).
    So is this right? Surely I'm still entitled to my PPA time, regardless of whether I'm out on a course or not...
    Thank you in advance.

2. Hi,
    I'm an NQT and I currently have a full day out of the classroom every week (half a day as PPA, half a day as NQT time). In a couple of weeks, I'll be going on a course for 2 days. I've been told that this course will form my NQT time for that week, so I won't have my usual day out of the classroom. When I reminded the deputy head that half of my day out is classed as PPA time and questioned her about whether I'll still get this, despite going on a 2-day course, I was told 'no'. The head had apparently said that I wouldn't need my normal non-contact day because I was already going to be out of school for 2 days that week (I haven't yet had chance to speak to the head directly about this).
    So is this right? Surely I'm still entitled to my PPA time, regardless of whether I'm out on a course or not...
    Thank you in advance.

3. At my school, if we choose to attend a course when we should have PPA, we lose the PPA time... However, we don't miss it or get a reduction if the course is on a different day of the week....
    The NQT I work with can be made to "lose" her NQT time for courses, so in your case would miss 4weeks of half day NQT time, but would still get her PPA time in those weeks, assuming she was in school on that day...

4. Thank you for replying.
    The 2-day course is on different days of the week to that when I normally take my PPA/NQT time, and it's a course I'm being sent on by SLT, not one I've chosen to attend myself.
    I understand losing my NQT time, but I'm still not sure that I should also lose my PPA time.