1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PPA does not exist? I have been told this by my HOD

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by poppythepuppy, Jan 28, 2012.

1. poppythepuppy

poppythepuppy New commenter

I have objected to been told to do learning walks in my PPA time at my school, my HOD told me that PPA does not exist and I can be directed to do anything to do with teaching and learning in my 'PPA time'. I am really confused as far as I am aware we are entitled to our PPA time. Something strange is going on at my school since our new head joined. PPA times are not timetabled, they are left blank. The explanation was that this will enable teams to plan together in this time. My HOD has told me that I am been unreasonable refusing to do learning walks on other teachers in my PPA time and she is going to take this further. I explained that I have been told by my union that that is my time to prepare and plan for lessons. Can anyone shed some light? I really don't think I can take much more of this school and the bullys that run it.

2. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

New head.
    Bullying SMT.
    Get out. Now.

(Sorry, but nastiness has started. It won't get better.)

3. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Our non contacts were blank but have now had PPA added when the NASUWT action started.

You cannot be directed to do anything in your PPA time.

4. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Perhaps you should invite your HOD to read paragraph 63.8 of the School Teacher's Pay and Conditions Document from September 2011. I can't find anything in there which gives an individual HOD to right to ride roughshod over the law. Perhaps a properly trained union rep should have a word with her or with her line manager and introduce her to the business end of a trade dispute.

5. poppythepuppy

I said this, but was told that I can be directed to do anything they want 'within teaching and learning'. I said that my union NUT were not aware of this and that I had been told that I cannot be directed to do anything in my ppa time by the union. My HOD has said that I have to send her this information from my union and she is going to take this further as she believes I am been difficult!!
    This is not the first problem I have had with this, I have also been told to do corridor sweeps in my ppa time!!

6. chriszwinter1

Your HoD sounds like the kind of bully who makes things up as she goes along. Maybe it's low self-esteem or insecurity or just the fact that she's out of her depth: after all, she wants to blame you for her own many shortcomings. She has no right to demand that you send her any information. Get your union rep to raise it with the head, quoting the relevant paragraph.

7. Get the document online- highlight the relevant paragraph and send it to your HOD, cc in the Head, Chair of Governors and your Regional Union Rep.
    Bullying you is one thing but Id be shocked if they continue and try to bully the NUT and Chair of Governors too. These people do this because they get away with it. Stand up for yourself.
    In the interim remind your bully boss PPA stands for Planning, Preparation and Assessment not learning walk or corridor sweep.

8. this is done in many schools, sometimes up until the xmas term; the reason being they think no one will notice and also it is an opportunity to be used for 'emergency' cover.
    Generaly when the school rep 'reminds' them to put on the PPA, do they do it.

9. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Ask your HOD to put her current and future views and demands in writing, in an email perhaps, otherwise you can not respond to them. Meanwhile ask the head for a copy of the school's grievance procedure. You never know, she might be dim enough to hang herself. Don't do any of the ridiculous things you are being told to do in your PPA time, let your HOD 'take it further' ....
    It is not your job to educate managers but if you are feeling generous you could give her the para reference to this:
    STPCD 2011 Section 2 (statutory):
    Guaranteed planning and preparation time
    63.5 All teachers who participate in the teaching of pupils are entitled to reasonable periods of Planning, Preparation and Assessment (PPA) to enable the discharge of the professional responsibilities of teaching and assessment. A teacher to whom paragraphs 62.2 to 62.11 apply must be allowed PPA time as part of the 1258.5 hours referred to in paragraph 62.4 or, in the case of a teacher employed part-time, as part of the pro rata equivalent referred to in paragraph 62.5.
    63.6 PPA time must amount to not less than 10% of the teacher’s timetabled teaching time (and for this purpose “timetabled teaching time”, in relation to a teacher, means the aggregate period of time in the school timetable during which the teacher has been assigned by the head teacher in the school time-table to teach pupils).
    63.7 PPA time must be provided in units of not less than half an hour during the school’s timetabled teaching week.
    63.8 Such a teacher must not be required to carry out any other duties during the teacher’s PPA time.
    Don't do any of the ridiculous things you are being told to do in your PPA time, let your HOD take it further ....

10. poppythepuppy

Thanks for all your replies and some really useful information. I think my card is marked at this school I have had the most horrendous time and this is just one of the many things that I believe are been done to try to get me to resign.
    In October I was informed by letter out of the blue that management had concerns about my ability to progress the students. I was called to a meeting, which I attended with my union rep, to be told that I was to be placed in a 'support plan'. Somewhat surprised as I had never even had an unstatisfactory learning walk and had in the previous term been graded 'good' by ofsted.
    This I was told was because my exam results were poor, as a department we did have very poor results. This was only my second year of teaching and I had been given a GCSE group in a subject I was not qualified to teach. To say I struggled was an understatement, tough school! When I asked for support and training I was told that it was up to me to use my own time and ppa time to improve my knowledge. I felt very victimised as my results were only 2% lower than the deputy curriculum teacher and 4% lower than the head of department. Both of whom have been teaching for many years and both of whom were teaching their main subject.

I got through the six week support plan, which was tough but I felt very annoyed and was determined not to be bullied. I have been told that if I have poor results again this will result in me going straight to the competency procedure.

Now it seems that everything I do is been highlighted, my HOD is determined to pick out any detail. Having been through such scrutiny I am now spending so much time planning my lessons and ensuring that I show the students progress that every minute of my PPA is precious. I stay after school to help students and have been told that they all must reach their FFTD +1 in their coursework no matter what. Some of these students can't even write a full sentence. Is this normal??

At the moment I just want to give up, but I have come in to teaching late in life and have invested a lot in my training. I love teaching and the kids but I am appalled that the amount of bullying that goes on between adults. It seems at my school if your not a 'yes' person, which I obviously am not, you don't fit. I can't afford to walk away from this but I dont know if I can take much more. Some advice please.

11. Compassman

An increasingly familiar scenario in schools these days. get your union involved. Try your union rep but if that has no joy (perhaps because the union rep is frightened of the head themselves) then go to you local union office and get someone in. The idea they must get FFTD + 1 is ludicrous but sadly is very common. We are told that all the pupils should reach their target but realistically between 25 and 50% won't (standard statistics). The FFT data are just guidelines not hard data.

A colleague of mine was forced out last year by this very same method. It stinks. Your PPA is YOUR time to do YOUR planning. If they want you to do learning walks then they should take you off timetable to do a few (that would show real support)

12. I hate to say it, but it depends on how good your union rep is and on other agendas at work.
    My union rep wasn't very helpful at all and when I brought up having PPA time used as meetings time said, "That's one of those things ... we sometimes have to all do extra don't we."
    That was a REGIONAL union rep.
    I'm wondering whether to carry on subscriping. From posts on here, it seems I may be better spending the money on ensuring I have legal cover on my home insurance if a pupil makes an allegation.

13. Compassman

Very true. Some union reps don't want to rock the boat. Meanwhile teachers are getting walked over by bullying management. I have been increasingly frustrated by this for years (not just since the present government came to power before people think I have a political agenda). I am having a similar problem with my present NASUWT union rep who doesn't want to rock the boat during the 'action short of strike action' being taken by the union.

14. chriszwinter1

Now we know where your HOD is coming from: the first refuge of the inadequate is to blame somebody else. She's under pressure, which goes with the territory, she's not up to it, and she's blaming you.

15. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

Yes, watch your back with this HOD, poppy. Time to find a nice, new school, I think.

16. What on earth are they on about, 'PPA doesn't exist'? Sounds like really poor management, not to mention a shoddy way to treat staff. How can they expect good lesson and effective marking if there's no allocated time to do it? I'm shaking my head in disbelief here!

17. chriszwinter1

There are people like that, shockingly out of their depth and unable to hide it. The HoD concerned is one of them. Perhaps the OP should demand from her the information that entitles her to say that.
    It's like the buffoons who claim that "research shows ..." to back up whatever crackpot idea they're trying to introduce. When asked to produce the research, they never do, and for one simple reason: it doesn't exist. This HoD is in that category.

18. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Your HoD is a thick womble. Avoid as much as possible while applying elsewhere or waiting for them to get pushed 'up and out' when the school gets fed up of them.

19. poppythepuppy

The problem is this all seems to be coming from the SLT, and the head seems to be the one behind it all. I have been given until Wednesday to produce the correct information from my union so that my HOD can take it further!! The union rep in the school does not seem to have any weight with the management, in fact seems a little scared of them. I am going to regional level with this, but have to watch my back because the knives are out for me. Have been earmarked as a troublemaker because unlike a lot of the other staff I feel that I should NOT just go along with this. This is wrong, this is bullying in its simplest form and I for one am prepared to stand up and shout about it. Problem is, I think they will just try and find a way to get me out and shut me up!

20. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

If your union's regional rep is unhelpful you should be escalating your case/enquiry to union Head Office.