1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PPA cover

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Aladdin2, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Aladdin2

Aladdin2 New commenter

Hi. Can anyone advise me of the position around PPA? I am teaching year 6 from September and have been allocated a teaching assistant (not HLTA) to cover my PPA. She will cover one afternoon (foundation subjects). Am I to plan for her? Little bit nervous because I'm clueless about this. I was told on training that I do not plan for PPA but my school does not employ a teacher to cover this. Ideas/guidance please ????

2. (I'm guessing you are a new teacher from the way you have worded this? If not, please ignore me and accept my appologies).
    Generally, you walk out the door when PPA starts and have nothing more to do with the class during that time - that goes for planning, assessing, reporting or sorting out any isues arising from it the following day. That sounds harsh, but in practise is what every teacher I know wants to happen, and as BecktonBoy points out on the whole 'they are not assigned to you for that afternoon' is the actual case just not sugar coated.
    I would hand over the MTP for whatever subject/s you want covered - in my case if it were a TA I'd give them PE, as I deteste it, and I'm certainly no expert, or really feel qualified to teach it, so they might as well do just as bad a job as I probably would (if not miles better!). We don't have an MTP as it were for PE, so I'd just hand over the LCP folder we teach from (which does have MTPs in it, but by no MTP I mean 'no pointless bits of paper that we have filled in from scratch, on the school format').

3. johnberyl

johnberyl Occasional commenter

Just wait until the end of the year when you try to figure out who should write the reports!

4. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

I am a sucker I know but if a TA was covering my PPA I would leave planning. I KNOW we don't HAVE to but looking at the long view I decided that I did not want them and the kids floundering for an afternoon just because I was feeling militant.If an experienced supply is covering I don't leave anything at all because they prefer to sort themselves out. So if I were you I would have a crack with the TA in question and come to a mutually beneficial arrangement. BB is totally right by the way, but it just doesn't always work like that. Yes it's teachers like me who will have the profession on its knees but AFAQL.

Oh but never ever mark the work.

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

Bear in mind that, if the person covering does the planning as well, they are entitled to PPA of their own.

6. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I think you should all get off your high horse and consider the poor T.A.'s feelings. She/he is probably pretty nervous about covering a year 6 class and working with a new teacher, never mind having to think about planning.
    I would definately plan for PPA because I like to know what my class is being taught and amazingly, I like to keep tabs on how the children are getting on with the subjects allocated during PPA.
    And never NEVER give the T.A. P.E. to do, there are all sorts of insurance issues if anything should go wrong.

7. My PPA is covered by a TA (not a HLTA) and I have no choice in the subject she covers. We have LCP for that subject, so I sort out which unit she is doing and leave that for her.
    I know that the behaviour leaves a lot to be desired when she's covering, and that, despite her very best efforts, some of the work isn't what I'd expect from the children, but as an untrained member of staff, she's doing her very best for no extra money.
    I'm just coming to the end of my NQT year. At the beginning of the year I used to make sure I was just outside the classroom in case of behaviour problems or other issues. One year on, I make sure I hide somewhere else in school - PPA is valuable, and I don't want to waste it sorting out behaviour problems.
    By the way, when it comes to reports, I'm still expected to write the reports for that subject, because, according to the headteacher, the TA is "not a teacher and not trained to write reports". It seems that sometimes it suits, and sometimes it doesn't.
    I'm not trying to belittle my TA or what she does at all, (I used to be a TA who started by doing some PPA cover!) I just think it's an unfair burden to put on people who aren't trained and who don't get paid any more for their "covering" hours.

8. II used to have a HLTA cover my PPA, and it never occurred to me to not leave any planning, even if it was just a chat beforehand to tell her I wanted her to do. How she did it was entirely up to her. She usually briefly fed back to me how things went, or if any issues cropped up afterwards too.

9. (deleted a bit of waffle but rethought it, because basically all I wanted to say was, why don't you shut up if you aren't prepared to read someone's response carefully and only put your views on the OP. Take your own advice love.
    And this is the class teachers' problem because.....?

10. greta444

greta444 New commenter

What....? What does this mean?

11. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

sounds painful ....

12. Aladdin2

Aladdin2 New commenter

Thanks for this. We are a small one form entry school in a very deprived area. I've only just completed my NQT induction period and been shifted up from year 3!!

13. Aladdin2

Aladdin2 New commenter

Hi ink, that thought did cross my mind!! complicated!

14. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

That is what I did in the good old days when a fabulous TA covered my PPA. Was a brilliant arrangement and I could go home for the afternoon.

Now two different teachers cover my afternoon. One of okish and does sort out his own discipline issues and does outdoor PE, so I am eternally grateful. The other is utterly hopeless and I have to settle my class at the start, and be 'on call' for any child sent out during the tedious and boring pointless tasks in the lesson. And then pick up any issues from in class the following day because he doesn't work every day. Drives me nuts!

We have a fabulous HLTA who does some cover sometimes and she would be great at doing PPA. Yes I would then have to leave planning, but it would be much 'better' all round and I'd not begrudge it at all.

I suppose my point to the OP is 'do whatever you need to do to make life easiest for yourself'. Planning a little for your HLTA might be the best option and saying 'I don't have to!' or 'My union says not to!' might actually be cutting off your nose to spite your face.

15. Aladdin2

Aladdin2 New commenter

Thanks. It would appear to be a rather emotive subject with clearly very different perspectives from each school (due to the overall lack of clarity). I do want a smooth life in school! We use LCP for some foundation subjects so would you suggest that I discuss these with the T/A and leave a file and resources for the unit?