1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PPA Cover

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sammy_jane, Jul 16, 2011.

1. sammy_jane

sammy_jane New commenter

Hi all
    I am starting in Year 1 next year and have found out that I am being taken out of class on Friday mornings to cover the Year 6 teacher's PPA. A TA will be going into my class for the morning that I am out. The reason I have been asked to cover the PPA is because the school wants me to teach ICT in Year 6 (the current teacher hasn't taught ICT for years). Is this allowed? Am just worried that my class are missing a literacy and maths lesson every week due to me being out of class.

2. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

Wouldn't it be better for the long term if they just trained the Y6 teacher?

3. That is horrifically unprofessional.
    It smacks of a Y6 teacher stuck in their ways and an SLT team too scared to confront him/her. ICT is on the National Curriculum, and should be taught. The teacher may not be confident in his/her own use of ICT and should be offered training and guidance - but they should not just be ignoring the issue.
    Did you say you were an NQT? If you are that's even worse - you will be getting your PPA time, your NQT time, and then this morning out to cover another teacher..that means your class are only getting their teacher 3.5 days a week. The children shouldn't be messed around just because your Y6 teacher is being stubborn.

4. Sorry I read again and realised you dont say you're an NQT.
    Still think its ridiculous though.

5. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

totally agree with impulce - it's ridiculous but unfortunately the head can deploy teachers as they see fit within the directed time limit.

6. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Wouldn't it be better to swap classes and the Y6 teacher have their PPA at some other time. We regularly swap classes to make the most of each other's strengths.

7. Looks to me as if the school is looking to save money by (mis)using a TA by having them take your class.However, nothing illegal.
    The whole rationale of establishing PPA time was to improve teaching and learning. Not sure if there is any evidence to suggest this is the case, especially if PPA cover is not provided by qualified teachers.

8. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

I always thought it was to address the lingering issues of workload.