1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ppa cover/ release

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kittenmittens, Mar 7, 2011.

1. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

I'm returning from maternity leave to 2 days a week, ht has suggested covering classes as an alternative to job share which I've jumped at! I'm wondering about logistics- do you get ppa yourself? Do you plan your lessons or teach from the class teachers' planning? If so are resources etc ready for you when you go in? How do you communicate with these teachers? What is workload like compared to having your own class?

2. The ppa teachers at our school get ppa time for themselves (for example, a teacher who does one day a week will get a morning of planning time every five weeks).
    They also plan their own work for a range of lessons (in agreement with the class teacher) and mark any work produced.
    As far as communication goes... we talk to each other and email when that isn't possible!

3. When we had a PPA teacher who worked 2 days a week, they had their own PPA at the start of each day. With registration and assebly time (8.50-9.30) they had enough to cover what they were entitled to.

4. I do PPA cover since returning from mat. leave. I am paid to have PPA time at home so get paid extra!
    What I teach is in consultation with the teachers. At our school teachers get 1 day a fortnight PPA, so I get to develop a good relationship with the children.
    I love it!

5. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

Thanks, glad to hear you get PPA and communication is good. I would be working with lots of different classes but have taught lots of the chn already having been at the school for a while. Do you attend staff meetings even if they are on a different day to when you're working?

6. Staff meetings alternate between two days, swapping each term, so all staff attend some. TD/INSET Days don't always occur on the same day, in fact they are spread across each week day, IYKWIM! So across the year there will be one on a monday, one on a tuesday etc.
    You only go to the things that happen on your normal work days. Unless of course your HT can afford to pay you!
    I hope that makes sense! Am pregnant again and I feel like I am living in a muddled world at the mo!