1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PPA at home? 0.7

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by SBW2009, Oct 24, 2018.

1. SBW2009

SBW2009 New commenter

Hi
    I'm requesting part time and considering asking 3 full days and PPA at home - I think that would be 0.7. Union haven't come back to me yet. Because of our 2 week timetable some people only have their PPA once a fortnight which is my reasoning to ask for it at home. Does anyone else do it?
    Thanks

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Don't know if others here have done that, but just to comment that teachers aren't entitled to do their PPA at home. School can insist - most do insist I think - that PPA is done on school premises. At head's discretion though, so nothing to be lost by asking. And as part of a formal flexible working request school would have to give it the proper consideration under those rules.

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter

I've experienced both. At one school I had Friday afternoon PPA and was told I could leave school at the end of morning lessons. It was made clear that I could work that afternoon at home or do my PPA tasks at another time if I wished. I've also had the opposite experience where I was expected to stay on the premises. As you say @Rott Weiler - it is at the head's discretion.

4. SBW2009

SBW2009 New commenter

Thank you

I’m going to try and sell it that basically I’ll teach every lesson without needing ppa. Those who are part time have their frees once a fortnight at 0.6 which is basically ****!!!

Nothing to lose from asking! Biggest issue is the can’t recruit!

5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If they are trying to timetable you into three days, then it's made more difficult if they're trying to give you a lesson in every single one of those slots. Usually the PPA slots are the "leftovers". On the other hand, they may be glad to know that you'd be willing to be timetabled for slightly more teaching and take the rest of your PPA entitlement at home, if that works out on the timetable. It's probably best to make sure that the contract specifies "3 days" (not 0.6, which they could spread how they want), and then if it works for them to give you a full timetable on those days and the extra pay, that could be negotiated year by year).

SBW2009 likes this.
  6. SBW2009

SBW2009 New commenter

Thank you

I’ve decided to put 3 full days and not make things more complicated. I just hate the two week timetable and no ppa on one week issue.