1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ppa and music

Discussion in 'Primary' started by inky, Nov 1, 2011.

1. inky

inky Lead commenter

Does your PPA teacher cover musicc on a regular basis?

2. They did at my last one. Why do you ask?

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Yes. Because he likes it and is good at it and I am truly hopeless. Works for both of us.

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

Would you expect a PPA teacher to so without PPA time?

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

My PPA teacher does have PPA time. I would expect all PPA teachers who plan and assess for their classes (and write reports and give notes to the classteacher for parents eve) to have PPA time. Ours certainly do.

And in fact, just due to lesson timings, a couple get more than the 10% entitlement.

The subject being covered is irrelevant to the argument.

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

Ta, minnieminx. We've just lost our peri and so teachers are having to do their own music.
    I don't want to revive an old grievance via this thread. I'm a permanent member of staff but, it being a small school, am more useful as a ppa/emergency float and so am not required to plan and get no PPA time. A teacher asked me before half-term to cover all her music.
    Before I could think straight, I agreed, but there's no way I'm be going to do that.
    By the way, I was a music co-ordinator in a junior shool many years ago.

7. A PPA teacher has the same working conditions and rights as the rest of us. They are entitiled to 10%. It makes no difference to the subjects they teach. We have had Music taught by a PPA teacher, as we have had other subjects. In fact, in our school, we have had 3 different teachers covering PPA (not all at once !). PPA is a teaching position like any other and our Head directs who ever they feel appropriate to do it. The previous 2 PPA teachers now have
    "their own class" but in July if another member of staff wants to be the PPA teacher or the PPA teacher wants their own class then it can be requested and considered just like change of Key Stage.

8. ShadowMan

ShadowMan New commenter

If it's the teacher's PPA time you are covering, then the teacher should not be planning the music lessons for you to teach. If you do not get any PPA yourself then you should be talking to your Head or taking it to your union.

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

I quite agree. In fact, I agree so much that I shall refuse point blank to teach music until after I've received either PPA of my own or extra money.

10. Hooray! Good for you. I remember some of your earlier posts about covering PPA with no time yourself and am pleased you are doing something about it.

11. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I don't quite see that you can say "I will plan and teach science with no PPA. I will plan and teach art with no PPA. I will plan and teach PE with no PPA. but I will not plan and teach music with no PPA".

You are entitled to 10% PPA time and so need to ensure you get it. (One of our PPA teachers gets PPA time on her day off. So is paid for something like an hour and a half when she isn't actually in school, if that makes sense.)

However you are definitely not entitled to pick and choose the subjects you cover. If you ask a teacher what they want you to do as PPA cover (which you ought) you can't then go back to them and say you aren't doing it.

12. inky

inky Lead commenter

I haven't said that.
    My objection is that I'm being asked - not by the HT, by the way - to take responsibility for all a teacher's music lessons with no negotiation re time for planning!

13. inky

inky Lead commenter

I never mentioned science or art! The same would apply - no planning without time in which to do it.

14. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I know you didn't, but you did say you would refuse to teach music without PPA time. This implied you would teach anything else without being given PPA time. I used the subjects as examples.

You are entitled to PPA time and so need to negotiate when with your SMT. Classteachers are not required to plan for the PPA cover teachers and so the most sensible thing is to hand over stand alone subjects for the PPA teacher to cover in entirety.

15. inky

inky Lead commenter

But you shouldn't have claimed that I said something that I hadn't said.
    As it happens, the musc thing has been resolved peacefully and I'm following a scheme that doesn't require anything but the most basic prep on my part. I just panicked when it seemed like the thin end of the wedge.
    As for the PPA time thing, I am perfectly within my rights to refuse to teach anything that requires a separate body of planning etc without my being given PPA of my own.
    Fortunately, my school has not demanded this of me.