1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PPA and HLTA's

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MK teacher, Sep 8, 2011.

1. MK teacher

MK teacher New commenter

Hi
    I've got a dilemma (haven't we all) and need advice!
    As far as my understanding goes teachers should not be planning for others who cover their classes during ppa time, whoever that may be. My current head and deputy are both saying that I should give a fairly detailed medium term plan for the HLTA who will be covering my class for the coming term.
    Should I be doing this or not? Should I contact my union or am I being too sensitive? Any help or advice would greatly be appreciated.

2. bigbev

bigbev New commenter

In my previous school PPA was often covered by HLTA's. At the start of the year they would negotiate with the class teacher which lesson they would teach....mine in the past have done Art, DT, Gym, ICT depending on their expertise. The PPA cover feedback said what they felt worked best was when they were teaching the same subject each week and did the planning....Often I would be asked to look over it for them in the early days but it was always fine!

3. I have never heard that we should not plan for someone covering our PPA...anyone else?

4. I didn't think we were suppose to plan for someone else covering our PPA. I never have and I wouldn't expect to.

5. A very common mistake being expressed here. PPA time is NOT cover which by the DfE defintion occurs only when a teacher who is timetabled to teach a class is absent for any reason. Furthermore teacher absence is defined as being the time when a teacher timetabled to teach a class in unable to do so for any reason. Teachers are not timetabled to teach during their assigned PPA time.
    So in fact teachers are being replaced by support staff during such time which is wrong according to the DfE.

6. Our PPA is covered by TAs (not all HLTAs) and we have to plan for these lessons, they tend to be foundation subjects. However we plan everything as a team so it could be someone else who plans it. To be honest I've never questioned it, always thought it was my responsibility.

7. This comes up every year with me. An HLTA covers mine - I give her the MTP and that's it. Every year she says that she has no PPA time and all I can say is you'll have to see the HT. It is not my responsibility to plan my PPA time. She is an excellent HLTA, and I do have a word with the senior teacher in charge of TAs to make her aware of this but that's as far as it goes.
    We fought long and hard for PPA and to give it up by planning, and then marking, lessons that we don't deliver is just ridiculous. The HLTA always marks but if for some reason someone else takes the class (illness, courses) I always note on the work - supply cover etc.

8. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Interesting, because we always use HLTAs for PPA cover now, having whittled down the Real Teacher Time. We provide Medium Term Plans (broad) and let them get on with it.
    Most cover Music, PE, PSHE and RE. However you might be able to help me with a recent problem. One HLTA who covers RE is meant to take class to 'look at local place of worship', ie visit to church. According to this person, HLTAs are not allowed to take pupils off site without a Real Teacher present. Any comments?

9. Then I hope you've had a chance to look at this thread:
    http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/514126.aspxand if you have, signed the petition:
    https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/12405

10. Hmmmm! Only 513 signatures to date. How many qualified teachers in the UK?

11. inky

inky Lead commenter

The documentation states that teachers will have to plan forPPA when cover is employed on a supply basis. I am not supply but have to be flexible, so that probably means that I'm on supply basis.