1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PPA and Compassionate leave

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by christywhite750, Jul 11, 2019.

1. christywhite750

christywhite750 New commenter

Hello. I'm just wondering if anyone could shed some light on PPA entitlement and compassionate leave.
    I recently lost my nan and was by her bedside every evening for a week while we waited. I took 2 days during that week and didn't get any PPA time which is understandable. However, today is the funeral and I have not had any PPA yet this week and nothing has been said about having it on Friday. I'm unsure whether PPA is taken from me this week as I have requested a compassionate day.

A colleague of mine has had quite a bit of time off lately due to her OH being quite poorly, but she still gets her PPA time. One week she had her PPA time as normal on the Wednesday and then was off on the Thursday and Friday. When my nan passed away on the Monday and I took time off on the Tuesday (although I was messaged to ask where I was) I still didn't get my PPA time that week either.
    Any advice?

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Discuss with your line manager, explain the issue, ask what is possible. If you can, have some solutions thought out in advance.

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I always thought (although I'm not aware of any rules) that if you lost PPA because you were off ill, that was just bad luck, and I would have thought compassionate leave would be similar. It gets very complicated if every time a teacher is off they have to reschedule PPA (fair enough for courses, though, since they're known in advance).

I'd be inclined, rather than going down the entitlement route, to go to your line manager, explain that because you lost all your evenings last week and your PPA as well, you're struggling to get everything done. Is there any chance that some time could be found for you? If you have any practical suggestions of where that time could be found, make them - for instance if classes are watching the year 6 production, or something like that, perhps you could have that time then.

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Are you being paid for the compassionate leave? They don't have to pay you by law, so it does seem reasonable that they don't then have to pay for more supply to cover your moved PPA. But the idea of trying to find a solution that gives you a bit of PPA time is a good one.

5. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I've never heard of anyone getting PPA back if they have missed it through being off

6. paulstevenjones

paulstevenjones New commenter

I think there is a perceived difference between a grandparent dying (sad but expected in life) and an unwell partner so perhaps more slack is given there.