1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PowerPoint 2010 Magic - Ideas Please!

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by LoveIT, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Hi all
    I'm making a brief presentation (about 5 minutes) to the whole teaching staff on Monday about using PowerPoint 2010 as a great teaching tool.
    I just want to bang out 5 or 6 really cool things you can you use it for that they might consider using in their teaching. The idea is that they can come and ask if they want to know more about how to do the things I show them.
    So, I've already settled on using object animations to create a countdown timer, embedding YouTube clips (which is so easy in 2010) and I'll also be showing them a cool Who Wants To Be A Millionaire game (can't remember where I found it but it works well).
    Can anyone else come up with some neat ideas to present?
    Thanks in anticipation!
    LoveIT

2. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

...using PowerPoint 2010 as a great teaching tool.
    ...and there was me just about to instigate a school wide moratorium on the use of powerpoint *
    just shows how much I know

* yes I am being serious,

3. Just goes to show eh? Each to their own! [​IMG]
    Any ideas people?

4. Naah, this is a wind-up isn't it?

5. tonyuk

tonyuk Occasional commenter

Personally I would use Prezi Powerpoint is so last year! [​IMG]

6. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

Whilst I somewhat concur with previous posters about the "greatness" of Powerpoint, I do quite like triggered animations and suspect that if teachers knew how to do this then they can create slideshows that are a little more engaging.

7. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

8. You could use it to create a random name generator so that you can eliminate hands up in your class.
    You could create a rolling presentation that uses images and music to 'hook' the pupils in or get them to discuss what they are seeing.
    You could get pupils to create a series of scenes based on a topic with a digital camera and then up load the photos using the insert photo album tool to create a story that can be viewed through PowerPoint
    You could use the digital camera again to photograph students whilst they do group work and create a PowerPoint to give them feedback on what you saw during the group work task.
    I have even used it to place students into groups before now.

9. That's really excellent stuff. Thanks for the ideas.

10. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

The real important point here is not the effectiveness of the software to do the job, its the teachers notion of what goes on to a slide that needs to be addressed.
    How many times have you sat through a training session where everthing that was being delivered was actually printed out on the powerpoint being displayed. We had a talk recently where the deliverer (actually a nice guy and pretty switched on person) came up with a slide show of 37 slides. We may as well have just read the handouts.
    PPT is there to provide the skeleton of what you are talking about and to provide a visual refernce for quotes, graphics, videos, etc.
    If there's one thing you get across, it HAS TO BE THIS. Then wow them with some cool stuff. Is PPTPlex (i think) still available from microsoft? Allows you to navigate PPT in a new way, group wise, rather than linearly, and you can zoom in and out of slides, groups, etc.

11. colwynexile

How? This would be so cool!

12. You will find an example of how to do this in the TES Resources area.

It's not really random as such but is good enough.

I use VBA on my class spreadsheets, myself.

13. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

If you really want to use a random anem thing then just use something like this
    http://www.classtools.net/main_area/template_loader.php/?fruit_machine

14. colwynexile

There are times when I just say "wow, cool as *%^$", and I teach KS5! Despite the loonies running loose on here at times this is why I love this site so much. I'd have never have found this. Thanks.
    Anymore suggestions for cool stuff?

15. I don't use a PPT but did not think it would be useful to add a comment about random name generators I use that do not use PPT as the whole thread is about PPT and was also thinking about other teachers who may want something simple. and you are correct it is not random as such but it looks that way. I do think I have seen the PPT on from the TES resources section so it may still be there.

16. Interesting area this - as I said, I created my own 'random' name selector using VBA but I have never used it.
    Truth is, I would never want the selection of kids who are to answer questions to be random; quite the opposite, in fact.

17. dead right JB[​IMG]

18. JM6699

JM6699 New commenter

19. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

Is that because you think that the nature of random numbers means that the questions won't be distributed evenly around the class, or just because you like to choose who will answer?
    There was a recent television programme about a school that used wooden sticks to ask students to answer questions "at random" - all but the most able students (who were denied the opportunity to show off) could see the benefit as they all had to think of the answer in case their stick was pulled out.
    Anyway, the OP should listen to Microsoft PowerPoint and the Decline of Civilisation - it includes a study from an American university that showed using PowerPoint led to a decline in students' exam performance. There are lots of references to the programme on the web (including on this forum - http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/50256/50256.aspx), and you can download a copy from here:
    http://services.exeter.ac.uk/cmit/media/audio/Microsoft-Powerpoint-And-The-Decline-Of-Civilisation-BBCR4-2004-10-18.mp3