1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Power point Lessons

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by missmuon, Dec 28, 2010.

1. missmuon

missmuon New commenter

Hi,

What do you think of teaching the full Maths lesson as Power Point presentations, including instructions for class work? (Nowadays voice can be recorded and added directly in PP.)

It can be made interactive, with your or students' additions as answers to incomplete questions on IWB.

Film clips could be included, embedded in the PP.

Animations and/or adapted parts of standard software packages can be made part of the presentation.

Recently I had the opportunity to teach a top set class and had lots of time, so I thought through every minute of the lesson and drew/wrote everything as images and text boxes including instructions (no sound).

It was received well.

The performance of individual students remained the same.

Have you done this yourself? How did it work for you?

2. DM

DM New commenter

What would be the point?

3. I'm not too sure what the question is here either. Why would you invest so much time in something that didn't benefit the students in some way? Or does it improve your job satisfaction (another valid motivation for doing something)?

I use the IWB software rather than PowerPoint and use them in some ways as a lesson plan. Most pages are prompts for what I intended to do next, so that I don't forget things. So the page may have an image which reminds me of the question I wanted to ask at this point (rather than having all of the question typed out). The drawback with this is that it means very little to anyone else, and if I'm sharing my ideas I need to write out instructions.

4. DM

DM New commenter

I suppose it could be uploaded to a VLE as a revision lesson?

5. I do create revision power points

I prefer my lessons to be responsive to student need and knowledge

6. Betamale makes some extremely valid points. I hate things that almost restrict the way I teach rather than supporting it. It's great to have diagrams/charts there ready to use but I don't need MyMaths doing the instruction for me, I understand the topics and I know how to teach them. Valid point too about the need for flexibility.

I suspect many have been through this phase of wanting to have presentations for all lessons but the interest soon goes faced with the reality of producing it all.

Even now I still like to do some lessons 'unplugged', just me and a boardmarker!

7. I like that.
    I have dreams of dragging chalk down the board whilst drawing integral signs to a class of kids who enjoy the finer things
    Bit before my time and unlikely to be fashionable again...on the otherhand....nothing would suprise me listening to some new ideas in education.

8. LOL! Yes, I should patent the idea of an 'unplugged' lesson, maybe my way to fortune and riches as the DfE praise me as a visionary! Incidentally, in my first post we did still have chalk but not even projectors, I actually miss those days...

9. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

I find many of the prepared resources one can purchase have far too much detail on a single slide or page. Many students seem to think that if they just possess the contents in their notes all will be well! So they just concentrate on copying it all down. Not a lot of thinking going on.

10. Teach by Powerpoint ?
    God forbid....
    ... rubbish way to go ! [​IMG]

11. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

Written any good ones recently valed?
    Did you decide where to put them all by the way? I seem to recall you were looking at possibilities.

12. Yes, I'm with Casey on the bought ones often having too much information on each slide.

13. No, actually, Casy [​IMG]
    I stopped writing them when I returned to school really - I only wrote them originally because I was bored stiff when ill!
    I still use them occasionally - or, rather, I dip into them.
    Mostly, I refer my pupils to them as aides-revision [Franglais!?]
    They are STILL here - I managed to blag my server provider into leaving them alone.
    When I have retired, I have BIG plans for Mathsanswers - electronic text / pupil practice book, IWB Gizmos, better PPTs etc