1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

potty training

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Chull, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Chull

Chull New commenter

please tell me I am not the only one with a 2 1/2 year old still in nappies and showing no signs of being dry.

We have tried... honest... but I just do not think he is ready and I am suffering from peer pressure like never before to get him out of nappies.

2. Chull

Chull New commenter

please tell me I am not the only one with a 2 1/2 year old still in nappies and showing no signs of being dry.

We have tried... honest... but I just do not think he is ready and I am suffering from peer pressure like never before to get him out of nappies.

3. Sorry I can't help as my LO is only just over a year, but I wouldn't have thought a 2.5yr old and still not quite dry would be a problem. You can't force them to use a potty and the more you try when they're not ready, the more stress and anxiety they will associate with it (from what I've read anyway!). You never know, maybe your LO will go straight to using the toilet?
    My LO was 5 weeks prem so I reckon she'll be a late potty-user but they'll get there eventually - after all, you don't see grown ups still using a potty!
    I'm sorry I can't be more help.

4. Hi Chull,

Relax, don't worry. My boy was three in October, and it was really only around that time he started to be interested in potty training. We were forever asking him if he needed the potty/loo and it must have been so irritating for him. My health visitor gave me the best advice ever, to literally just have th e potty around and DON'T EVER TALK ABOUT IT. Within a week, he was dry, and is dry at night now too. Strangely, my just-two-year-old is showing interest already but I am very relaxed. They'll get there. Most people who say their child is dry at, say, two, just happened to be standing by with a potty to catch the results. I say, relax and sod everyone else. Life with a little one is stressful enough as it is, without creating more. Hope this helps x

5. My daughter is trained but she has led the way and it's been a piece of cake for us! She was clearly ready, though. Don't worry or try to push it until he shows signs of being ready. We tried once before as she kept taking her nappy off but after one too many accidents, she got upset and asked for her nappy back on. We've been as chilled as possible about the whole thing. That saud, I hear boys are harder than girls to train?! Plus this peer pressure nonsense... I was being told for months that she was ready and I just told them she wasn't! You know your own child better than anyone! It makes me cross when people butt in like that :-/

6. Chull

Chull New commenter

Thanks for the replies!
    We use the toilet and not a potty as my son declared "They are for babies!" which rather bemused me as he has only ever seen older children using them.
    I am going to relax more

7. You are not alone! I have a 2 and half year old girl who is still in nappies and i get lots of comments from people about why isnt she potty trained. I keep thinking she is ready, i.e she wants her nappy off but we cant seem to get past that stage! Everytime she needs to go to the toilet she starts demanding her nappy back on and even though ive tried not to give in (lots of coaxing/showing potty/trips to toilet etc) she gets hysterical and frantically tries to put her hands up her bottom! Ive been told that she will do it in her own time but any tips would be most welcome!!

8. Finelinr pen- I've seen the suggestion somewhere of putting an open nappy into the potty so age makes the link and maybe feels more secure?! Don't know if it'd work but perhaps worth a try?

9. She, not age!

10. clairecramer

clairecramer New commenter

I think it is a case of being persistant but not pushy. I started with my son at 27 months and it took until now at 33 months for him to finally be dry all day - still no chance at night. I often wondered if I started too early but didn't want to give up once I'd started and it was very frustrating because he clearly understood the deal with the potty/toilet but would 'forget' when he was busy doing something. I never got cross with him (well, I really tried not to be) even when it was sometimes 5 times a day, and always rewarded him with tons of praise and often a little treat (smartie, sticker, toy he'd forgotten he'd owned!). Although its taken a long time I think it was worth it for the money we saved on nappies!

11. Hi
    Try the No Cry Potty Solution book, and also story books about Pottys.. you can can boy and girl ones. My daughter loved the Princess Polly book which has a button you press which gives out a cheering sound.. so we used to just sit her on a potty or toilet and she would look through the book and press the button.. she didnt always go but that was okay.. also used to put potty in bathroom and when I went to the loo I would take a book she would sit on potty with her book!
    Best thing to do is just be casual about it.. its there she or he can use it but its no big deal.
    AND boys generally take longer than girls and some boys prefer to use the toilet and stand on a stool so they can be like "Daddy" also weeing tends to be easier but poos are another matter.. so when you get that first poo in th epotty or toilet make a big deal of it with a reward (I had to text a photo to "Nanny"!!
    Good luck!
    PS being dry at night takes longer.. my daughter has just turned 4 and was only reliably dry about 5 months ago but her friend is not dry yetxxx

12. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Ignore pp, unless you have a specific reason ie only decent nursery won't take them in nappies. One of my, fully trained, children regressed 6 months later. No obvious reason.

13. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Ignore pp, unless you have a specific reason ie only decent nursery won't take them in nappies. One of my, fully trained, children regressed 6 months later. No obvious reason.

14. I trained my daughter at 2.4 but not only was she producing wees and poos on the potty she had started to demand her nappy off to use it. I dont think age has anything to do with it tbh - in her case she is just quite fussy about being clean and its the way she is. Wait till he's ready my friend started training her son about 7 months ago snd is still scraping at least 2 poos a day out of his pants.... Life's too short surely. She's now 2.9 and there are loads her age still in nappies.