1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Potting shed in Kuantan!

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by miss rollo, Nov 17, 2011.

1. I see there is a job going at this Primary School, does anyone have info about the school and the location?
    Thanks.

2. Hi miss rollo
    I've been to Kuantan on holiday but I did grow up in Malaysia and have relatives there so, I sort of know what I'm talking about. Kuantan is a coastal town but its nothing like a city. It has got shopping malls but I don't know if they have a 'night' life that you might be looking for, assuming you are looking for something similar to the UK.
    We flew there on a plane like 'Easyjet' so its easy to get to from that point of view but the taxi ride was at least 30 mins away from the town. My relatives drove from Kuala Lumpur that took hours.
    It's a bit like moving to Bognor Regis I guess rather than Cardiff or Southampton, if that makes any sense. I don't know if its helpful especially since I don't know anything about the school. Personally, if I was going to live abroad, which I am going to, I'd choose a more cosmopolitan place because they are more likely to be tolerant of our 'western' ways than a coastal town where you'll be noticeable different. In cities, you're also more likely to mix with other expats from home.
    I hope this helps anyway. Sorry to be so negative

3. snowstorm

snowstorm New commenter

what's the reference to the potting shed?

4. Many thanks for your reply, I don't see it as a negative posting as you have merely given your opinion.

5. Well they are usually found in the Garden!

6. snowstorm

snowstorm New commenter

in Kuantan???? sorry, am lost!

7. https://www.tes.co.uk/job/head-teacher-3741/

8. Kuantan is a typical mid sized Malaysian city- quite built up, not lots of character or history, but always possible to find interesting/ quirky sights. Not necessarily the most obvious base if your first time in Malaysia. There's a Hyatt hotel with pool and beach, a nice restaurant in town called Art cafe, you're within reach of a couple of lovely resorts further up the east coast, turtle spotting too, and islands for diving to the south. About 4 hours drive from KL. The school you mention is a branch of one with a good reputation in KL, I drove past the campus in Kuantan a couple of years ago and it looked pretty small, but maybe the school has expanded since? I should think mostly local children, there may be a small expat population too, linked with the oil industry and some hotels.