1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Potentially stupid question- can NQT's teach year 6?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by poppyjones85, May 11, 2011.

1. I have heard rumours on the grapevine that NQT's aren't allowed to teach year six, is this so? There are three positions available, they are Nursery, year 4 and year 6, preferably I want the year 4 but I'm desperate for a job now, so just wanted to put a note that would state I would like to be considered for the key stage two roles.
    Cheers

2. Yes you can (I did for the first term of my induction). I think the rumour comes from the fact that a lot of Heads tend towards putting experienced teachers (often DHs) in Year 6 as it has very specific challenges.

3. Well I am NQT and I am teaching Year 6 and loving it :) I hold on the fact that many schools are nervous putting NQTs with Year 6 so I have gained some experience other NQTs probably won't have :)

4. Urban myth. As NQT you can teach any compulsory school age (even ages for which you are not trained).
    QTS means you are qualified to teach - it is neither linked to age ranges, years nor subjects.
    James