1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Potentially making a huge change...advice needed!!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by ed08a3h, Feb 17, 2012.

1. ed08a3h

ed08a3h New commenter

Hi All, First time poster here so please be gentle!

I have a bit of a dilemma..i've always wanted to do an MSc or PhD but once i started my NQT year everything happened so fast that i put those thoughts into the back of my mind. I love my job but recently ive had serious regrets for not having done what i wanted to do before i did my PGCE. Ive been in my school for 4 years (NQT + 3years) and have come across an opportunity that has made me consider taking a years break from teaching.

I want to do an MSc and have found one where my fees will be paid and i will be getting a tax free stipend that would mean that i am about £400 less well off financially. This i can cope with, as i will be doing what i have wanted to do for such a long time and i feel that i would be so lucky to get onto the course and to have my fees paid plus pay on top is a major bonus. Ive always put myself last and not done what i have wanted to do because im afraid of making huge changes, so to even have got this far in terms of deciding i want to do this is quite major for me. I don't want to leave teaching and would most definitely return to teach once ive done the MSc (if anyone will have me!).

Problem: School currently going under a restructure. I want to leave the path open for perhaps returning in future and i think they will be a bit miffed with me for leaving at this stage and feel that i'm not interested in what the school has to offer but the department is huge and there are way more members of staff with more experience who are realistically much more likely to get the posts that will be up for grabs. I'm a bit nervous about leaving a job at a school i love for the sake of this MSc but i feel its something i need to do. I also think it would make me more employable in future.

I don't know how to approach my head about requiring a reference and to inform him of my plans, especially considering that the reason he gave for not putting me on a permanent contract at the end of my NQT and making me suffer for about 4 months into my next year of teaching was because he thought i was the "academic type who would go back to do further study" and that he wanted to be sure that i was able to see myself as a teacher for the rest of my career and that i was committed to the school. (I thought this was rather unfair and bizarre to be honest).

If i get the place and hand in my notice, when does this need to be done by? Will i be paid up until the 31st august?

Lastly, i do feel positive but what if it all goes to pot and i muck up at the MSc interview, and nothing comes of it..im worried that the head will take this badly and it might make things awkward for me at work, potentially preventing me progressing in future because the head feels my heart is elsewhere?

Would really appreciate any advice.

2. ed08a3h

ed08a3h New commenter

Hi All, First time poster here so please be gentle!

I have a bit of a dilemma..i've always wanted to do an MSc or PhD but once i started my NQT year everything happened so fast that i put those thoughts into the back of my mind. I love my job but recently ive had serious regrets for not having done what i wanted to do before i did my PGCE. Ive been in my school for 4 years (NQT + 3years) and have come across an opportunity that has made me consider taking a years break from teaching.

I want to do an MSc and have found one where my fees will be paid and i will be getting a tax free stipend that would mean that i am about £400 less well off financially. This i can cope with, as i will be doing what i have wanted to do for such a long time and i feel that i would be so lucky to get onto the course and to have my fees paid plus pay on top is a major bonus. Ive always put myself last and not done what i have wanted to do because im afraid of making huge changes, so to even have got this far in terms of deciding i want to do this is quite major for me. I don't want to leave teaching and would most definitely return to teach once ive done the MSc (if anyone will have me!).

Problem: School currently going under a restructure. I want to leave the path open for perhaps returning in future and i think they will be a bit miffed with me for leaving at this stage and feel that i'm not interested in what the school has to offer but the department is huge and there are way more members of staff with more experience who are realistically much more likely to get the posts that will be up for grabs. I'm a bit nervous about leaving a job at a school i love for the sake of this MSc but i feel its something i need to do. I also think it would make me more employable in future.

I don't know how to approach my head about requiring a reference and to inform him of my plans, especially considering that the reason he gave for not putting me on a permanent contract at the end of my NQT and making me suffer for about 4 months into my next year of teaching was because he thought i was the "academic type who would go back to do further study" and that he wanted to be sure that i was able to see myself as a teacher for the rest of my career and that i was committed to the school. (I thought this was rather unfair and bizarre to be honest).

If i get the place and hand in my notice, when does this need to be done by? Will i be paid up until the 31st august?

Lastly, i do feel positive but what if it all goes to pot and i muck up at the MSc interview, and nothing comes of it..im worried that the head will take this badly and it might make things awkward for me at work, potentially preventing me progressing in future because the head feels my heart is elsewhere?

Would really appreciate any advice.

3. ed08a3h

ed08a3h New commenter

Btw im really sorry about the lack of paragraphs! first time poster so not sure how to work this thing just yet! Apologies!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

OK, I'm rushing off to do some TES Job Seminars, so haven't got time to trawl through that post at the moment, sorry!
    May I suggest thaty ou re-post it? Two changes to make:
    Put in paragraphs with (You are using Chrome or an iPad or Android, I guess)
    Put numbers on the questions so that they can be easily replied to!
    See you later.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Now Theo's the expert and has told you he will be along later with the expert advice, but for now here's my two pennies worth from a fellow jobseeker who has a fair amount of experience of F/T in the past.
    If you've wanted to do this course for a long time and you have an opportunity, then yes you need to follow your heart, or else it will eat at you and spoil your ability to enjoy your teaching.
    As to your Head's attitude re the 'commitment to school; I think that after 4 years you've proven yourself in that space of time. Your Head is obviously aware you'd want to leave at some point to pursue you academic study and will probably support you in it now, so do go and approach them. You could go to you line manager first, HoY,HoD etc in the initial stages and they could advise you the best time to approach the Head themselves.They might even be able to offer you a sabbatical to do the study, especially as it's only 1 year ? (Theo or Middlemarch might be better advised on teh likelhood of that but I've certainly had colleagues in the past who've taken a sabbatical for a variety of reasons including pursuing academic study.)
    <u>Don't resign</u> until you've actually been accepted on the course, you have until May 31st to hand it in and leave at the end of the summer term and you should then be paid until August 31st.
    Perhaps you could say something like: you feelthat you could offer the school so much more in the future having followed your own dream to inspire students to do the same or some reason you can give to suggest you'd be 'better value for money' afterwards.
    Best of luck with the application.

6. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

My view is, for whats worth, is that if you really want to do a MSc or PhD then thats what you should try to do, You could regret giving up the opportunity at a later date.
    It should increase your employability (is that a real word?) and anyway I don't think any future potential employer will hold it against you taking time out of the work market to follow your dream, especially a constructive one like this.
    Only you can decide if its worth it and good luck deciding.

7. ed08a3h

ed08a3h New commenter

Hi All, First time poster here so please be gentle! I have a bit of a dilemma..i've always wanted to do an MSc or PhD but once i started my NQT year everything happened so fast that i put those thoughts into the back of my mind. I love my job but recently ive had serious regrets for not having done what i wanted to do before i did my PGCE. Ive been in my school for 4 years (NQT + 3years) and have come across an opportunity that has made me consider taking a years break from teaching.

I want to do an MSc and have found one where my fees will be paid and i will be getting a tax free stipend that would mean that i am about £400 less well off financially. This i can cope with, as i will be doing what i have wanted to do for such a long time and i feel that i would be so lucky to get onto the course and to have my fees paid plus pay on top is a major bonus. Ive always put myself last and not done what i have wanted to do because im afraid of making huge changes, so to even have got this far in terms of deciding i want to do this is quite major for me.

I don't want to leave teaching and would most definitely return to teach once ive done the MSc (if anyone will have me!). Problem: School currently going under a restructure. I want to leave the path open for perhaps returning in future and i think they will be a bit miffed with me for leaving at this stage and feel that i'm not interested in what the school has to offer but the department is huge and there are way more members of staff with more experience who are realistically much more likely to get the posts that will be up for grabs.

I'm a bit nervous about leaving a job at a school i love for the sake of this MSc but i feel its something i need to do. I also think it would make me more employable in future.

1) I don't know how to approach my head about requiring a reference and to inform him of my plans, especially considering that the reason he gave for not putting me on a permanent contract at the end of my NQT and making me suffer for about 4 months into my next year of teaching was because he thought i was the "academic type who would go back to do further study" and that he wanted to be sure that i was able to see myself as a teacher for the rest of my career and that i was committed to the school. (I thought this was rather unfair and bizarre to be honest).

2) If i get the place and hand in my notice, when does this need to be done by? Will i be paid up until the 31st august?

3) Lastly, i do feel positive but what if it all goes to pot and i muck up at the MSc interview, and nothing comes of it..im worried that the head will take this badly and it might make things awkward for me at work, potentially preventing me progressing in future because the head feels my heart is elsewhere? Would really appreciate any advice.

(Thanks theogriff for the tips - youre right im using chrome)

8. ed08a3h

ed08a3h New commenter

Thanks Lara,

When you put it like that it doesn't seem like it should even be an issue or a point of worry for me. I guess its just the nerves of possibly making such a big change. You're definitely right about the eating away at me and preventing me from fully enjoying my teaching career point.

Thanks for the advice :)

9. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It's certainly worth asking the head and governors to consider giving you a year's sabbatical to undertake this course - and they should be able to find someone to fill your shoes for a year. I've given sabbaticals to staff so that they could travel for a year! It was worth it to get such valued colleagues back.
    Ask - if the head says no, then you'll resign. But going off for a year with your job to return to is an ideal solution, isn't it?

10. ed08a3h

ed08a3h New commenter

That would be perfect!! Does that mean that i am legally bound to return after a year and that i cannot change my mind? I certainly have no intention of not returning, i would just prefer to have covered all bases before i suggest this to the head.

Thanks for the time taken to answer my qs!

:)

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Thanks for a much easier to read post now!
    This sounds like a once-in-a-lifetime chance!
    Q1 Yes, tricky - but the suggestion of proposing a sabbatical, where they don't have a financial burden but they would get the advantage of having you with "added-value" so to speak, is a good one.
    Q2 If you stay until the end of the summer term, then you hand in your notice for 31 August, and get paid until then.
    Q3 This is again tricky, but if your Head is professional, and you are too, this can be overcome.
    Best of luck for this - hope it works out for you.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com

12. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Fingers crossed for you ed083h. Let us know how things go.