1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Potential Teaching Subjects-Suggestions please...

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by melc04, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Hi All,
    A little help and advice would be great. Before I begin I would like to say that I have spent hours reading through all these forums on teaching in Scotland and understand the situation in Scotland at the minute in relation to jobs but I am starting from near the beginning so it'll be another 4/5 years before I even qualify but want to know that I'm starting at the right place.
    I have an ordinary degree from a non-uk college in Information Technology with Multimedia. I am going to top-up my degree with The Open University and this is where I need to make a good subject choice.
    While I enjoy Computing it would be the Media Studies section of my degree I would be focusing on and hopefully, eventually teaching. I now want to choose what is the best subject to top-up my degree with?? My first choice would be religious studies and I have looked at courses that I could complete, but am I going down the wrong road with subject choices?? Any advice on a good subject choice would be a great help.
    Also, would there be a demand for Media and Religious Teachers or is the job situation so bad that it doesn't matter what subject you teach, it's bad accross the board??
    I hope this all makes sense and I'm explaining myself right.
    Thanks

2. Hi All,
    A little help and advice would be great. Before I begin I would like to say that I have spent hours reading through all these forums on teaching in Scotland and understand the situation in Scotland at the minute in relation to jobs but I am starting from near the beginning so it'll be another 4/5 years before I even qualify but want to know that I'm starting at the right place.
    I have an ordinary degree from a non-uk college in Information Technology with Multimedia. I am going to top-up my degree with The Open University and this is where I need to make a good subject choice.
    While I enjoy Computing it would be the Media Studies section of my degree I would be focusing on and hopefully, eventually teaching. I now want to choose what is the best subject to top-up my degree with?? My first choice would be religious studies and I have looked at courses that I could complete, but am I going down the wrong road with subject choices?? Any advice on a good subject choice would be a great help.
    Also, would there be a demand for Media and Religious Teachers or is the job situation so bad that it doesn't matter what subject you teach, it's bad accross the board??
    I hope this all makes sense and I'm explaining myself right.
    Thanks

3. You need a degree or equivalent in the subject you plan to teach. Most schools teach Media as part of English or Art but with new curriculum defining literacy as in terms of multimedia texts I am not sure it has a future anyway. You need to look really carefully at the qualifications you have and at what ITE providers demand for the subject you want to teach.

4. I'd take a look at how many jobs there are in Scotland right now. 3 I think...

5. TES showing 2 jobs right now! WOW!

6. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Contact gtcs for advice. www.gtcs.org.uk

7. I've worked in around 10 or 12 schools in the past few years and I've only ever came across one Media Studies teacher, and he was part-time.
    A few years down the line the job situation may change.

8. I don't like to be negative, but I'd advise doing something else. I love my job, and have been doing it succesfully for 5 years now, but we're all under threat of redunancies at the minute. I know you're saying it will be 4/5 years before you qualify, but I can't see anything changing, especially with the new curriculum. My subject is one of the 'traditional' subjects, but my job is far from safe. If you're determined to do it, you'll probably go ahead anyway, but I'd seriously advise thinking carefully about it.
    Sorry. I'm feeling a bit glum today.

9. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

Is Home Economics a possibility? It's the only subject I've heard there's a shortage in. I heard of one Home Ec teacher who chose to leave a long term supply job as she didn't like the school and was able to choose between two other schools in the same authority (Glasgow).

It sounds like you possibly already know this, but just in case - you can't register purely as a media studies teacher alone, only as a second subject. I know that because I've been looking into registering in Media as an additional subject (on top of English) to make me more employable! Haha!

10. yasf

yasf New commenter

With the degree you have ICT looks the most obvious choice.
    Otherwise, I would go for English and Media. Most Media teachers I knew end up getting some English classes anyway (apparently English can contain some Media). English is also probably one of the most recession proof subjects - along with Maths and Science, it'll give you the most flexibility in where you want to live and give you a long term choice in what kind of school you want to work in (which often changes after you have taught for a bit). As an RE and Media - which isn't a natural match - you may restrict your opportunities quite a bit.

11. Not just now. With the commitment to class sizes of 20 going many schools are upping S1/2 back to 30 and cutting a teacher with the saving. I also know some schools are using the LAC as an excuse to cut English time as, in theory, the Lit outcomes are taught by everyone.

12. halfajack

I wondered if that would happen but felt safer after it was announced the literacy qualification would be assessed through English rather than across the curriculum as originally suggested. Although I do wonder how cutting English time would benefit a school. The pupils will still have to be taught by a teacher of some other subject so it's not like money will be saved.

13. Not necessarily if the cut teacher's timetable was taken on by others in the department.

14. halfajack

Was that in response to my post? I don't get it...the person I replied to was talking about cutting English time for pupils. How would it work, then, that other English teachers would take up the cut teacher's timetable?