1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Potential teaching interview during SATs week?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by year1109, Apr 26, 2019.

1. year1109

year1109 New commenter

Hi,

I may (or may not as the case may well be) have a teaching interview in another school during the week of my KS1 SATs. I obviously haven’t asked my Head yet as the shortlisting date hasn’t even arrived but say I were shortlisted - has my Head got a right to say no to me going? I haven’t been in this situation before but he is aware that I am looking for a promotion and I have had a look round other schools so it won’t be a surprise to him if I have to tell him I have an interview. The interview isn’t the first day of my class’ SATs.

Thank you!

2. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

Your head can say no unless your school's leave of absence policy says otherwise. It depends what your head is like but hopefully, they are reasonable and won't want to hold you back if you are trying to advance in your career. I would talk to your head. I'm assuming you have applied for the post and are waiting to hear if you have been shortlisted. If this is the case, you should have asked your head for a reference and so they'll know you've made an application.

3. year1109

year1109 New commenter

Thank you for replying! My head is very lenient with LOAs - very accommodating and I haven't witnessed any difficulty with other members of staff not being allowed to do the same. I suppose our SATs can be done at any point during May so hopefully if there isn't a suitable member of staff to take my place perhaps I may be allowed to do the paper with the class another day that week if I am successful in getting an interview. I asked my Head in advance to provide any references. Thank you! :)

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

It's KS1 SATs, just move the paper to another time!

cassandramark2 likes this.