1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

potential teacher? advice needed

Discussion in 'English' started by limarde, Sep 3, 2011.

1. I have wanted to teach at secondary level for quite some time, however during my degree I became quite ill and subsequently failed a year. I had to take a year out due to medical reasons. I began my final year well gaining a 1st and 2:1 in my first semester modules and was doing some volunteer work, tutoring and had signed up to the university placement scheme to begin in the second semester. Unfortunately I became ill again and subsequently missed the placement scheme and some exams which resulted in me gaining only an ordinary degree.
    I would still love to teach but am unsure of how much of a chance I stand regarding actually getting a GTP or PGCE place. I am also unsure of which subject to concentrate on as my degree was in English with French. I initially thought English, however have been advised that it would be better to concentrate on FML although I thought you needed two languages and I only have A level German, not degree level.
    If anyone could give me some advice I would be very grateful,
    Many Thanks.

2. I have wanted to teach at secondary level for quite some time, however during my degree I became quite ill and subsequently failed a year. I had to take a year out due to medical reasons. I began my final year well gaining a 1st and 2:1 in my first semester modules and was doing some volunteer work, tutoring and had signed up to the university placement scheme to begin in the second semester. Unfortunately I became ill again and subsequently missed the placement scheme and some exams which resulted in me gaining only an ordinary degree.
    I would still love to teach but am unsure of how much of a chance I stand regarding actually getting a GTP or PGCE place. I am also unsure of which subject to concentrate on as my degree was in English with French. I initially thought English, however have been advised that it would be better to concentrate on FML although I thought you needed two languages and I only have A level German, not degree level.
    If anyone could give me some advice I would be very grateful,
    Many Thanks.

3. When I read your post, I realised that I hadn't much of a clue about current teacher training requirements (I qualified in the dark ages, oh so many moons ago). Anway, I looked it up out of interest on the TDA (Training and Development Agency) website, and it says a Pass degree is fine. (As you say yours is an Ordinary degree, I wonder if you are a Scot?)
    I should think your tutoring experience would stand you in good stead, as would some good references making mention of the qualities you have which would suit you for the job. Patience, firmness, sense of humour are all needed, but in my opinion, above all you must like your subject and enjoy working with the age group.
    If you teach English, I think your MFL expertise would come in handy for some of the language side.
    Your best bet is to contact the inirtial teacher training (ITT) provider in which you're interested. And look at the TDA website.

I hope your health problems are behind you. Good luck with your application!