1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Potential contract

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by little_miss_teach, Nov 5, 2017.

1. little_miss_teach

little_miss_teach New commenter

Hi
    So I've been on supply and like a lot of people have found it slow this school year. So much that I've exhausted my marking money/savings.
    Good news is I have a contract until Xmas at a school I've wanted to work at for ages (fairly near 20mins drive) with potential for permanent after Xmas and it's direct with the school no agencies !
    However being on supply I was relying on pay 17th (for any days this coming week) and I'm assuming this will be monthly; obviously I will enquire as to when pay day is etc but dare I ask to be there on a more supply basis to get paid sooner or what? I only need a few hundred to make it to the end of the month and potential pay day but am actually having to consider not taking it as I can't last without any pay! Any ideas? I know I'm probably worrying too much and it'll sort out tomorrow but it's really stressing me out before my perfect job starts!

2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Established commenter

Don't ask for any pay other than at the end of the month. I find schools incredibly bad at organising 'one-off' payments and giving excuses to mess-up will be taken:(
    If the month is too long for the money then you might be able to get pay in advance by asking very nicely and that will be less hassle. If the job is that perfect then can you take out a loan/overdraft to tide you over in tea and digestives (my idea of essentials)?

3. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

If you arrange an overdraft, always set the limit really high so you won't exceed it. That way there are no bank charges. It's always good to have it on record that you pay off your debts, as you have a ready made credit rating if you apply for a mortgage in the future, if you don't already have one. If you do have a mortgage, your lender will give you a period of interest-only repayment, as long as there is equity in the property.
    Have a look at Martin Lewis' money saving expert pages for tips on credit cards, insurances etc. Lots of ways to claw back some cash.
    Take the job.