1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

potatoes for chips

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by SuzeJ, May 13, 2011.

1. Hi becky
    You need to use Maris Piper potatoes, they are lovely and floury and perfect for mashing, roasting and chipping. I also use them when we are having baked potatoes, I find the generic 'baking' potatoes just don't compare to Maris Pipers.
    I've also made 'chips' from celeriac and you could also try sweet potatoes.

2. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

pricey but nice = Cyprus spuds :)

3. Thanks guys. I don't really eat many potatoes,prefer rice and pasta. Will try both types over the next few weeks!

4. Forget what type of tatties, otherwise no other country could do chips! You need a firm tattie, that is all you need to know.
    Fry them twice, that is the trick.
    Do you think all other countries use Maris or Kings?

5. Nope! They use a generic old floury potato. Thats late season, maincrop, tougher skinned potato.
    New/early season potatoes just stay oily and don't get the crispy outside and fluffy middle!

I used to work at PBI Maris Lane when they were still developing potatoes - blight resistant at the time as the Piper was released about the year I was born! You'd think I would remember some of the stuff I must have learned!!

6. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I have used Heston's method and whilst it makes for amazing chips, it's a lot of effort (and time - they need to cool to fridge temp between each stage!) and not something I'll repeat that often.
    Best in this country are Maris Piper's. I can't remember why off hand but Heston goes into lots of detail re percentage of dry matter, which makes sense. Simply put, waxy spuds are low in dry matter and will make for a wet, dark chip. Too high a percentage of dry matter will result in a leathery chip that is too dry. The optimum dry matter percentage is from 20-22% (I've found the book now), making a chip that will crisp nicely and have a dry, fluffy interior. Maris Piper at 21.9% is optimal. Another successful one he rates is the Yukon Gold (20.3%) but I've not seen them ever in this country and suspect they're an American spud.
    Obviously, different countries will have their optimum chip-making spud!

7. Indeed - although you don't use too floury a potato, or they fall apart!
    Our potatoes are not sold as "new" or "old" potatoes (although you can kind of tell...) but in three basic categories:
    Mehligkochend (the floury ones - great for mash and soups)
    Festkochend (the firm ones - great for salads)
    And überwiegend festkochend (a kind of in between thing which is what most folk buy for general purposes). These are the ones I buy most as they are "all-purpose", so to speak.
    What is very difficult is to find a tattie that makes a good jacket potato - usually the skins are not thick enough and the tatties not big enough!

8. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Best chips ever were home-grown Maris Peer potatoes, dug up, fried and consumed all within 30 mins. Delicious. Failing that, Maris Piper from the shops are good.
    At Christmas, Waitrose sell <u>RED</u> KING EDWARDS for roasting, (sublime), that also make excellent chips as they seem to be at their best being cooked at high temperatures. A seasonal spud, but well worth the effort.

9. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Like you, celtic, our potatoes are sold as gratin/salad, mash and soups (the floury kind) and chip potatoes. The most common variety for chips is called Bintje.
    No new or old seasons, but then I live in an area where potatoes are not that widely eaten, much more so in the north of France.

10. Yup, we get them too. Although, if I remember correctly, the most commonly bought potato is Sieglinde (which is quite a firm "all purpose" one).

11. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Bintje potatoes are wonderful. Make amazingly creamy and smooth mash as well. Have never found them for sale in the UK.

12. Ohhhhhhhh, we don't use them for mash!
    They are easy to get hold of here, as we are just on the Dutch border.
    Another sort I often buy is Nicola - very yummy and great for potato salad.

13. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Think more of a puree than a mash. With far too much butter. Lovely.

14. That is a whole debate in itself.
    Do you blend/whisk or hand mash/puree?
    I always think the best ingredient is elbow grease [​IMG]