1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Potato Farls

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by sbkrobson, Apr 3, 2020.

1. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Without the permission to nip out for just bread and milk, we've been feasting on potato farls instead of bread, and I actually don't think we will ever go back to bread now!
    Mashed potato
    "Some" flour
    "Some" baking powder.
    Mix.
    Press into 1.5 cm thick shapes, small ones or one large
    Fry in hot pan, no oil, two, three, four minutes each side.

You can vary this by using oatmeal or bran or using wholemeal flour. And you can add chives, chocolate chips, raisins, anything really.

When they are ready you can spread with marg, butter, cream cheese, jam, peanut butter, chocolate spread, anything spreadable. They are the most fail safe home prepared carb I have tried. My new hobby-farl craft.

Any more potato farl ideas?

primarycat likes this.
  2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Yeah, love em. I tend to know them by the Scottish name, tattie scones. You can add an egg to them to bind everything together and make it lighter but you don't need to.

I personally love them with a fried breakfast, or at least bacon and eggs. I fry mine in butter for extra deliciousness!

sbkrobson and primarycat like this.
  3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Twice daily farls
    No sport
    And now bacon and eggs too?

[​IMG]

primarycat likes this.
  4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Haven't had one of these for years! Loved them with a fried egg.

sbkrobson likes this.
  5. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Made these with chopped spring onion that needed using mixed in. Had them with a tortellini broth. I fried them in butter. Messy (not enough flour in the first batch) but good. PCjr was most keen.

sbkrobson and BelleDuJour like this.
  6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter