1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Posting on here and RL.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by kibosh, Jun 21, 2011.

1. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

There appears to be a fair few people on here who know each other and are friends in RL. Surely I'm not the only poster who knows no one from TES in RL?
    Not that I know of, of course. [​IMG]

2. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

There appears to be a fair few people on here who know each other and are friends in RL. Surely I'm not the only poster who knows no one from TES in RL?
    Not that I know of, of course. [​IMG]

3. I've met a couple of posters since knowing them here (discovered one lives very close!) but I didn't know anyone here when I started posting and I'm not sure I would like to. I post snippets about school and colleagues which I'd have to reconsider if I thought someone from work would see!

4. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I don't [​IMG] x

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I don't think I'm alone in knowing and being friends with, a few posters in real life because we hit it off on here. Others might have known one another before posting but I'm not sure they're in the majority.

...by the way, have you tried Scott and Bailley? I watched back to back episodes and thoroughly enjoyed it and thought you might too. All the episodes are available on itv.com:
    http://www.itv.com/itvplayer/video/?Filter=242651

6. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

If you don't mind me asking, how did that come about; making the arrangements to meet up?
    Obviously you don't have to answer if you don't want to.

7. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I know some people on here in real life from going to some meets. I don't know people so well that it significantly changes how I interact with them. It is nice to put some faces to some names.
    I've enjoyed that so far. Good acting and interesting story lines.

8. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

There used to be a lot of big meets arranged.
    People seem less keen now...

9. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Oooh [​IMG] Thank you.

10. I know who a few posters are in RL....that is I know RL names (I think!...maybe they've just made up the 'real' names..) and have corresponded with them. But we've never met.
    On the other hand I have read some posts containing info that makes me think....I know who you are! I have a fair suspicion that I have worked with two TESers in the past, and I think I did my teacher training with another. But I've never asked them if I'm right! (I'd feel such an idiot if I'd got it wrong!)
    And in my more paranoid moments I become convinced that a certain family member is on here!....Just waiting for them to realise who I really am!

11. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Nor me!
    I think it may be coincidental that people know eaxh other in RL. I actually enjoy the anonymity here!

12. I've never met anyone from TES, apart from someone I know from before we became teachers. She doesn't use TES anymore though.

13. It was on the Millions thread. With one, once we realised we were quite close geographically it seemed silly not to. I think we used email to make arrangements as I have a Tes email I use just for folk here.

14. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

I don't know anyone! I know that there have been several TES meetings over the years but we've never had one in Scotland as far as I know.

15. I have met up with a few posters - not on meets (although I did go to a small one in Leeds a few years back). Some posters from here have become RL friends and we meet up when I am in the UK and phone every couple of weeks or so whilst I am in Germany.They have become good and firm friends.
    Others I know "away" from the forum, as in I am in private contact with them, but we haven't met up, but "away" from the forums, we speak about private stuff.
    I didn't know anyone when I first started posting.
    There are some I would not like to meet at all, although I certain that feeling is mutual [​IMG]

16. I know who a few people in real life are because we've moved from here to email or FB conversations. I wonder sometimes if Scotland's a bit small for meets but on the other hand there are a few people I would like to meet up with just to put faces and voices to the usernames!

17. Nevertheless - there are plenty of you on the forum, so it may be worth trying to organise one for the haggis eaters [​IMG] (teasing - I love haggis myself).

18. Dunno, I'd be scared in case I met someone I knew!

19. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I "know" a few people from seeing their posts, PM-ing them, then e-mailing with real names. have had some visit me and Mrs TG, been to visit them.
    And . . .
    I actually "met" a poster on here, and through reading each other's posts, s/he applied for a job in my school. S/he thought s/he would like to work with me.
    When s/he applied, I declared an interest and withdrew from the appointment procedure on the grounds that this applicant was known to me.
    Got appointed, and was an excellent choice. After a year, rose to HoD.

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and often contribute to the
    Job Application Seminar Workshops. We look at application letters,
    executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people
    really appreciate.

See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!

20. I think most posters would like to work with you or Middlemarch!