1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Postgraduate vs Professional

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by lidialu, Mar 26, 2016.

1. lidialu

lidialu New commenter

Hi all,
    I would like your advise. I have a place to start my Early Years PGCE this September. I am not sure whether to take the master credits or not. Until last week I thought not to take them and just focus on my placements and make the most of them but someone told me that in a few years I might need a master to teach. Has anyone more information about that?

Thank you in advance

2. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Who knows what the government policy will be in a few years time. Do be aware that the programme you have signed up to may well be 'QTS + masters credits' as an integral package - that is what a PGCE generally is. QTS only is not a PGCE. If you wanted to do QTS only then that is what you probably should have applied for via a School Direct route.

3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

If other courses are anything to go by they will be the easiest Masters credits you ever pick up. Do it.

4. lidialu

lidialu New commenter

Thank you for your help! Yes, my course has a recommendation for QTS.
    I guess that all the research towards the masters assignments will be always helpful