1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Postgraduate Certificate or Professional Graduate Certificate?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by jaybee1, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,
    Happy New Year! I'm a third of the way through my PGCE and have been asked to choose between two paths - the Postgrade Cert (M Level) or the Professional Grad Cert(H Level). I was wondering how much of an impact this makes on potential employers and whether it is seen as a disadvantage to have the H Level qualification? I think it's unlikely that I will study for a Masters in the future, but I don't want to miss out on a job because other candidates have the higher qualification.
    I'd really value your expert opinion on this and would like to hear from anyone else who has had an issue with this.
    Many thanks.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well, my expert opinion is that I haven't the faintest idea of what difference one or the other would make to my school, if I were appointing you! And having Googled them, I'm no wiser.
    Certainly the more common one is the Postgraduate Certificate in Education; it would therefore have the advantage of not having a Head scratch his head in puzzlement and wonder what it means . . . Is there any reason why you could not go for the higher level qualification, especially as it is well known?
    I ask this because as the job market is currently very difficult for job applicants, anything you can do to present yourself as a better-qualified candidate is going to be good.
    In a nutshell, the situation, in case they haven't told you on your course, is that there are fewer jobs available (15% fewer advertised so far this year) and many many more applicants - half of last year's PGCE/BEd/GTP completers still haven't yet managed to start their induction. And a third of the previous year are in the same (sinking) boat.
    So it's very important for you and your colleagues to start thinking now about how you are going to apply for jobs for September 2011.
    Here's how:
    <h3>What PGCE, GTP and BEd students want for Christmas is . . . </h3>Best wishes for a happy 2011, with a successful completion of your PGCE and an induction year starting in September.

I shall be contributing to the Seminars on Saturday 8th January. TheoGriff Job Seminar
    Look forward to seeing you!

3. Hey Jaybee
    I did a Professional Grad Cert (had no idea I was doing a 'different one' until halfway through the course), as I did it part time. It hasnt made a single difference to my job apps etc, I ve been employed in the same school since qualifying and on every job app I have done since I just write PGCE - as theres no room on most forms to expand and I dont think they'd care or would know the difference anyway. My current school knew about my course and didn't ask any questions, its more about what sort of teacher you are than how many M level credits you have. (I think!). Everything is exactly the same in it, aside from carrying the extra 30/60 (cant remember which) of credits forward.
    However, I am now doing a Masters and have had to start making up the lack of credits compared to other candidates. That grates slightly so consider whether you ever ever want to do more academic work. If so, do the proper PGCE.
    CumbriaDJ