1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Postcards

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by golf girl, May 14, 2007.

1. golf girl

golf girl New commenter

Hi, I was just wondering has anybody got an idea on how to introduce writing postcards and its a lesson that being observed my the new deputy head teacher. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

2. golf girl

golf girl New commenter

Hi, I was just wondering has anybody got an idea on how to introduce writing postcards and its a lesson that being observed my the new deputy head teacher. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

3. I've got a resource you can use. It's an A4 postcard template, although you could shrink it if you wanted.

It's at the top of this page: http://www.teachinglinks.co.uk/freebies.htm

Could the children mime or role-play the things they might do on holiday, before writing about it?

How about giving them some photographs to annotate. Children "jump" into the scene and write down everything they can see, hear, smell and touch.

Can you sneak a bit of grammar in there - past tense - or are they too young?

Good luck for the observation!

4. Have you looked at 'The Jolly Postman'? You could read that and then get the children to write a postcard to or from one of the characters. I did this with y1/2 and ir worked really well.

5. golf girl

golf girl New commenter

Hi, Sorry I forgot to say that I'm in year 1 and the lesson has to be based around the seaside.

6. So most of my ideas a bit too tricky, even if you got some particularly gifted children!

7. Maybe you could take in some photos of the seaside and some postcards from the coast to show them. If your school is near the coast it may be worthwhile taking them for a day (doesn't have to be this lesson), take them to the beach, eat ice-creams and do all the stuff they would do at the seaside-look at beach huts e.t.c If not, you could show them photos of coast and seaside, icecrema, candyfloss, arcades e.t.c Show them books with the seaside in, bring in shells/buckets and spades, if you have access to a sand pit let some of them make castles. Get them to tell their stories of beiong at the seaside to a partner and help them write down the basics, then you could move onto writing postcards in another lesson.

8. Sorry, I appear to have missed out entire words from my last post!

It should, of course, have read:

So most of my ideas would be a bit too tricky, even if you have got some particularly gifted children!

9. pooky ducky

pooky ducky New commenter

I would actually bring in some blank postcards for them to write, give the children one each.

Pass around pictures - icecream, beach, bucjet and spade, weather etc. Talk about seaside, what you do there, use senses to describe what they see, smell, hear, feel, & taste.

Maybe read them a short story about a day at the seaside.

Then get them to write a postcard about their day. (maybe model one on the board)
    You can then out them in a box and everyone could 'receive' a postcard to read. They like this part.

10. SqMandes

SqMandes New commenter

A student in the classroom next to mine turned the role play area into a beach. You could maybe build on that.

Also, if you have a Smartboard, you could scan in a picture of a beach and use the spotlight to highlight parts of the picture.

You could hotseat a child who could have just returned from holiday.

Grab a few holiday brochures from the local travel agent, or better still see if you can arrange to visit them.

11. Why not link up with some schools on www.schoolswaps.net - having someone to write to could give the students extra motivation